A discussion on immunity - Page 3 - The Reef Tank

Go Back   The Reef Tank > Reef Discussion Forums > The THINK Tank
Register

Old 11-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #31
PhaneSoul
Shark

This may help a bit,
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...sy-212667.html

When starting a blackworm 'tank' be sure to treat it just like cycling a new freshwater tank. I didnt take this into consideration both times i tried to start one and failed both times. Hopefully ill be able to try again soon.
PhaneSoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #32
Paul b
Shark

I have one in my book but I am not sure where to find it on other places although I know I posted it someplace. But it is pretty straight forward and you can figure it out by the picture.
If you search here for blackworms, you can probably find an old post of mine about it.
Paul b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #33
Paul b
Shark

There was a Doctor on TV this week who must have read this thread (yeah right) because he was talking about eating dirt to enhance your immunity and why so many people get sick now. Of course I related this to fish.
I read everything this man wrote then googled "Eat Dirt" and found a wealth of information on why eating dirt is good for you. No, don't go out and eat dirt, read the article first. But what he says and what I read on a few more places on the subject.
Also this from the American Medical Association a couple of months ago:

“Countless studies have found children who spend recess time in a green environment, rather than on cement or blacktop, perform better on tests in the classroom, have reduced symptoms of ADHD and stress, and lower risk of obesity,” she says. “They’re also more likely to have perfect vision than those who spend most of their time indoors.”
- See more at: http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/allergies/articles/dirt_can_give_kids_a_cleaner_bill_of_health.aspx#s thash.WOkFbtIv.dpuf

There are data that say our immune system and bodies in general, function best when exposed to not only microbes, or organisms, but also to diversity too. That has to come not only from a diverse diet, but also the environment. Quite simply, our kids need to go out and play in the dirt.

For example, regular use of bleach is associated with more – not fewer – infections in kids, according to a 2015 study published in Occupational & Environmental Medicine. “Children aren’t as healthy as they once were or as they could be,” she says. “I’ve observed more incidences of chronic illness and health issues like allergies, diabetes and neuropsychiatric issues.” - See more at: http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/allergies/articles/dirt_can_give_kids_a_cleaner_bill_of_health.aspx#s thash.WOkFbtIv.dpuf "

The Data goes on and on. I feel and have always felt that we keep our tanks much to clean and our fish food much to sterile. New research suggests this and you can find it all over the place.
I believe it because I am an outdoor kind of a guy and always have been. I never believed you have to wash your hands every time you eat unless you just got off the New York City Subway system because that is not dirt. That is bubonic plague, typhoid, diphtheria and any number of social diseases, but if you were just working in the garden or you just helped a Supermodel jump start her car, those germs won't hurt you. (unless the Supermodel just got off the subway and that is not likely to happen because Supermodels would never ride in a subway)
As I have said numerous times feeding live worms and other foods that have not been sterilized is the reason my fish are immune from (so far) everything. It is the "dirt" and associated bacteria and parasites that are the secret.
I feel we should keep our fish away from foods that claim that they are free from parasites and harmful organisms.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
cooter98
Big Fishy

This makes me think of my average day at work. In the city, in a mud ditch, running ridged pipe with cutting oil covering my hands. Sit on the side of said ditch and eat my health Bacon Egg and Cheese from the local roach coach.......and bam, my finger tips look clean again!! Nothing like a little oil and to go with my grease sandwich. Never a sink in site to wash up before eating. Then on a weekend we go out with friends that bring a squirt bottle of hand sanitizer everywhere we go. And look at me funny when I won't use it. Mean while they are always getting sick and I'll get a cold once a year. Almost like my body is used to all the germs. Working on some nasty construction sites and using port-o-jons as your only bathroom all day gives me a different view point.

But back to fish, ever since you talked about natural bacteria I've been making my own blender mush. Makes sence that some natural bacteria from raw fish, mussels, etc, helps the fish also have bacteria around them. Kinda like my hand sanitizer reference. To sterile then you don't have much immunity. Fish look as healthy as ever. Infact my 12+ year old PJ Cardinal really does look good as ever. He is pretty old tho, so knock on wood.
cooter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #35
Paul b
Shark

Cooter, I spent a year in the jungle in Viet Nam. I never saw a road, roof, building, wall, electricity, Oldsmobile, plumbing or even a hint of a Supermodel. I did however see lizards, ducks, monkeys, snakes, elephants, tigers, mosquitoes, scorpions and the enemy.
We didn't have water to wash our hands with as we reserved that for drinking even though it was collected in a river and was full of bugs, leeches, mud and everything else that lives in mud. A few times I swam in a bomb crater after I threw in a grenade to kill the Loch Ness Monsters living there. We washed our clothes, if we wanted to, when it rained, which it did for 6 months and when it wasn't raining, it was raining harder. I never got sick, not even a cold, headache, infection, sore throat, ear ache or the heartbreak of psoriasis. I wonder why!

Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #36
Paul b
Shark

This morning my wife and I were discussing how we lived when we were much younger and how the world has changed. My Dad and her Dad had retail stores. My dad had a fish market and just like her dad and everyone with a food market there was piles of saw dust on the floor. The cutting boards were wood, the knife handles were wood and the fish, and meat came in wooden crates as plastic was not available then. I am talking about the fifties.
I used to play in the back yard of our fish market and shoot flies with a rubber band. We also had live carp and eels in old bath tubs.
At the end of the week my Dad would sweep the floor and throw out all the old, fish scale infested sawdust and put down clean sawdust. Every night he would clean, using soap and bleach the knives and cutting boards.

Today, you are not allowed to use saw dust, wooden handled knives or cutting boards probably because of lawyers. I am sure someone, some where got sick and saw dust was blamed just like coffee can't be hot any more.
But it was the saw dust, cutting boards and wooden knife handles as well as numerous other things that enhanced our immune systems.
I was always an out doors kid and cut myself many times. I would rinse it off in a puddle or pond and go about my business never thinking about it.
I had an uncle that worked at the docks in NYC, one of the roughest places on Earth at that time. He got stabbed in the belly twice when 3 guys tried to mug him. (the muggers didn't fare very well) My Uncle wrapped the wounds in the same rag he cleaned eels with and lived to be about 90 never seeing a doctor or dentist in his life.
When my Mom would get a cold as a kid, her Mother would make her sleep in the horse stables thinking the smell of horse poop would cure her. (my Mom was born in lower Manhattan in 1910) My Mother lived to be 99 years old, she died of old age and was never sick and never even took an aspirin. How many people today could say that?

The point of this is that today how many kids do you know with allergies? How many kids are allergic to peanuts? How many kids are home from school with colds?
How many people in their 60s or 70s can you name with allergies?
Probably very few. As a kid no one in my school had any allergies and we all ate peanuts. I always got an attendance award because I was never out sick. I think in the 40 years I worked as a construction worker in Manhattan I was out maybe 3 or 4 times from being sick and never for having a cold, allergy or anything else except maybe a broken bone or disk problem.
That is IMO because I was brought up in a natural environment surrounded by bacteria and never having access to that silly sterilizing hand spray that people today feel they have to take baths in.
I still almost never get a cold, flu or any silly infection.
The little kids in My Grand Daughter's school almost all have some sort of allergy. My Grand Daughter is allergic to everything and half the kids in her school are allergic to something. Peanuts are outlawed in many restaurants and schools.
Kids today, (Like fish) get all sorts of things and in some homes it is an adventure waking up to see if the kids have some sort of infection.

I feel this is a big problem in our fish tanks and the biggest cause of all the posts on disease threads.
This is also why I go to a muddy bay and collect mud to throw in my tank. If I didn't live by the sea, I would throw regular dirt in there as I did when I started my tank.
I also feel we have to start thinking of bacteria as a good thing instead of a bad thing.
Just my thoughts of course and not meant to be taken as fact. Just an observation that is obvious to anyone who is a lot older than most fish people.