The Reef Tank banner

pmarkj's euro-style 100 gallon build thread

82K views 2K replies 44 participants last post by  seanj 
#1 ·
It begins...

Well, the tank is home. Funny how what you think you remember when buying differs from what you pick up :doh: I thought the frame was wood or Plexiglas but nope, it's all glass. It's beautiful no doubt, but may wreak havoc with the CPR overflow idea :cry: May have to get her drilled...that'll add several days to the build out...not to mention the fretting over the process.

Unfortunately, or fortunate for income, I'll be on the road the next two weeks so only Saturday for any work on her. I'll be home the 3rd week so maybe some progress will be made then.

Of course, here's a picture...there's a piece of foam board under it that'll be removed

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Updates, but no pics :(

So after lengthy discussions and research I have decide to go with a coast-to-coast or Calflo style overflow and a Bean Animal stand pipe system. Progress on the tank will begin the later part of April 20th week, Thursday or Friday and I'll add some new pictures then.

For info see - http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Also, I'm gonna get the 47 inch Maxspect Razor light system. It should fit the tank perfectly. Which means my 21.5 inch Maxspect Razor will be going up for sale...hint, hint, wink, wink. As well, after the setup of the new tank and the transfer of it's inhabitants I'll have a Coralifr BC29 with 2 hoods, one with broken hinges but plenty of spare parts and 1 with fully populated LED banks, for sale.

So, mostly mental progress, but real work to come.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
Keep it looking so clean! Love the tank and lighting choice!

Have you decided on a tentative stock list?
Well, of course the inhabitants from the 29BC will be moved over so I'll start with -
GSPs, Mushrooms, Kenya Tree, Toadstool, Birdsnest, Candy Canes, Green Slimer, and Hammer. Also the CUC will make the move - starfish, Emerald, snails and Banded Shrimp
Fish - 2 clowns, 6 line Wrasse and Royal Gramma

My wife likes the Green Chromis so maybe a school of them. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to ponder other tanks mates.

I'd love to have a Goby and Shrimp companionship.

Otherwise, open to suggestions.

#20 ·
I did, and I am so happy with the bean animal style overflow I can't even tell you. It is dead silent, so much quieter than any other overflow I have ever had, and no microbubbles in the sump. You made a great choice, I won't do a tank with any other type of overflow now.

Mine is not coast to coast, but I hear those are fantastic.

Great looking tank!!!

Whiskey

#23 ·
What causes an overflow to fail? I have an Eshopps hang on overflow box and have never had an issue.

Just curious about preventative maintenance or parts that may fail
Harry, in my experience with a FOWLR tank I had a variety of issues with an overflow that used tubes for moving water from the tank into the box. More ofetn than not something would cause the water flow to stop. Now, I didn' t have a sump then but my in-line filtration system would then run dry.

I've also heard of sumps overflowing under a variety of situations...but not familiar with the details.

I was actually going to use an CPR CS overflow, but the tank design would not allow it to fit so I had to look for an alternative approach. The one attraction of the CPR was "constant siphon", hence the CS in the name. However, it did seem to operate best if a pump was connected to a nipple in the overflow area to ensure its continued operation.

#24 ·
Well folks, either this Thursday or Friday the drilling begins. It's been tough looking at the empty tank so long but I've been traveling a bunch lately so not as bad.

Due to the fact that the tank has a glass ledge just above the water level as a light stand I am going to reduce the size of the overflow box a tad. The shelve is approx 2 & 1/2 inches so the overflow will have to be 40 or less to leave approx 4 inches at each end.

I'm not sure I'm drilling the return hole and may use a clear tubing to an elbow with a swivel head to accomplish that. I saw where some had their return in the overflow but figured it would work but eliminate the water flow benefit inside the tank.

So, as you can tell...things are moving...albeit slowly. I may have some picture to post this weekend after the drilling. You can bet I want to get this thing rolling so I will most likely be doing some PVC gluing this weekend.

#25 ·
Harry - I hear ya on all counts and appreciate your sharing your experiences. However, I am really looking forward to the Bean Animal system, even though in many ways I was forced into it because of the tank itself..

In all honesty, I'd be using the CPR today if it weren't for the weird build of this tank. It is all glass, even the framing, and it has an inside shelving so the lights could be placed under the glass covers. Note to self - 1st no hasty tank buys and 2nd buy a drilled tank from the start.

#26 ·
I didn't even know you were considering that! I agree that the Bean/Animal system is better- Im having one being installed by miracles on the 650! I wanted to share my experiences with the CPR since I thought you were getting one- if you can get a BeanAnimal installed, by all means, go for it!
Well, someone is helping me with the tank drilling and the rest is up to me. I've been collecting diagrams and photos of variations on it. At first, I was going with a full coast to coast overflow but am thinking of a slightly smaller variation. The tank inside is 48 inches and the glass shelves inside are about 2 and 1/2 inches so I am thinking of a 38-40 inch overflow leaving approx 4 or more inches on each side and at one end will be the return. I've seen some variations where someone returned their pump back into the overflow but figured that would do nothing for water movement inside the tank from the return pump.

#28 ·
Oh, so you know about Eurobracing?!? Geeze, I figure that either they expected this to be FW or the drilling would be in the bottom. Pain in the arse if you ask me but an interesting concept of hiding the lighting inside the frame.

#31 ·
I just ordered the Maxspect 43.5 Inch Razor R420R 16,000K LED Light Fixture to go on my new tank...things are coming together :)

The drilling happens later this afternoon and have overflow and Razor ordered...both will arrive next week. So, if everything goes to plan I should have water in her by next week!!!!

#32 ·
She's drilled! Went with 4 x 1 inch holes, 3 for the Bean Animal standpipes and 1 for the return. Seems my return pump is designed to accommodate a 1 inch pipe so decided to PVC the return as well to maximize the gph on the return. It's a Lifegard Aquatics Quite 1 4000 rated at 1022 gph. Just a tad more PVC work but I think it'll be worth it.

Attachments

#34 ·
Chi, you're welcome to them...granted they are of any value :funny:

Funny thing is during the drilling, inside out, the were some chips created on the inside? We were both expecting that to possibly occur on the outside...maybe how he started at an angle? I'll use some silicone to fill them in to ensure a good seal though. Just found it odd.

Anyway, I am having a challenge finding all the parts described on the BA website...typos and maybe varying industry naming. I started a thread in the equipment section to see if anyone can lead me in the right direction.

#35 ·
Following your build as well and I am assuming you have seen ScruffyRubicon's build he did a couple of years ago. He really shared a lot of great pics for everyone to see and just thought they could be usefull for reference at this point in time for you. I have a lot of respect for his work and his contributions here. You have probably seen his pages, so I apologize if you have. Anyhow take your time and I hope all continues to go well for you and your build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.