The Reef Tank banner

My tank .. new setup

48K views 292 replies 36 participants last post by  salty198 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all... I been lurking around these forums for some time now and decided to become a member...

I used to have a 55 gal reef tank about ten years ago in Texas, When I moved to Az I took in down and only keep the LR. The LR has been in storage and is now my base rock (70pds) in my new 90 gallon tank with sump.

My current setup is 90gals corner overflow with a wet dry sump. An AquaC Urchin Pro Protein Skimmer with Rio 140, in the sump. ( works great ), A ReeFlo Snapper Pump returning the water to tank.. (nice flow) 2 Koralia 4 and 1 Koralia 3 for circulation in the tank. I add another 30 pounds of live rock to start the tank along with 40 pds of crushed coral sand bed. Lighting consist of Sundial T5HO 4 bulbs with moon lights and built in timers

I do not have any live stock in the tank as of yet, I am taking my time. The live rock has been placed on a pvc pipe skeloton frame ( holes drilled through out ) This has provided me better flow and structure. I plan to hook up a smaller pump to the pvc riser. It has been runningwith just rock for about 2 months now. I do add Seachem Reef complete, Reef Calcium along with Reef plus on a weekly basis.

I am looking to keep soft coral and smaller fish. I would like some advice on reef safe fish, how many could I keep in my tank along with different types of coral.

Before adding the live stock I am still working on a ATO system and lighting. Possibly some cleaner crews to have something to watch...lol

Pictures of current set up....

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
5/20/09 pic updates

Updated pictures.... im not the best at taking pictures and my dig cam is kinda old....the purple and bright green coralline is showing up everywhere now..hard ot see in the pictures

Left side view

Front view

starting to grow from a piece of rock... broke it off and moved it....

#8 ·
My rock work is on a PVC pipe skeleton. I wish I took a picture of this before placing rock on it. Some of the live rock I drilled holes through and placed over piping. Rest was stacked then sand place into tank. The PVC pipe has holes drilled through out it. My return pump feeds the PVC pipe along with another return line into the tank .

#9 ·
New Additions... looking to put frags in and watch em grow... camara not to good with brining out the color...:nuts:

Two of em but only was able to catch one out in open

small torch frag..

some orange zoos

shroom that found his home and planted feet

Latest frontal shot, with stock bulbs from lite unit... just ordered some new ones with a little more blue less white

#127 ·
New Additions... looking to put frags in and watch em grow... camara not to good with brining out the color...:nuts:

Two of em but only was able to catch one out in open

small torch frag..

some orange zoos

shroom that found his home and planted feet

Latest frontal shot, with stock bulbs from lite unit... just ordered some new ones with a little more blue less white
my fav pic! I will be subscribing to this thread!

#15 ·
:lol: O just added three more pieces today :p An orange acan lord, a toadstool leather and some blue/green (more blue then green) zoos. I am all greened out in the tank need more colors... Ill post pictures in a bit

#19 ·
I have been collecting montiporas for a while now. They come in all kinds of colors, and many will have one background color while the polyps are a totally different color. The caps can take up a lot of real estate in the tank when they start to fill out, but they are also very easy to frag. The encrusting types are what I am trying to collect now as I really like them a lot.

#22 ·
I do have individual reflectors, this is why I put in some sps up top....

Better pic of Acans.... If I knew how to truly show there colors I would submit a better pic in the july contest... I read the acan like lower light... these open up huge when placed up top... lower in the tank not so much opening

#24 ·
June 27th more additions

A really nice yellow scrolling coral

My tubs birdnest on top left.. added him awhile ago... middle is Joe the coral (new) and a pink pocillopora top right (new)

I also got a nice pink and green frog spawn... closed up at the moment... My camara doesnt show the true colors...argh

#29 ·
started to remove crush coral sand bed today.. removed about 1/3, and added 20 pds of Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Oolite. Would of taken pics.. but holy cloud... I have two canisters running.. along with a 20 gallon water change... Plan on doing another 20 gallon water change in next few days once everything settles and I blow off the rocks..

#30 ·
Update.... 9/12/09

Acan died during the change out of cc to sand... I only comleted half of the change out... I am having a home built and should be ready by end of Nov. I am tring to plan on how to move the tank... lucky I will own both homes and can set up a new tank first...here are some pics...

Full shot

Side shot

My birds next has more then tripled in size in 3 months times... I was thinking of fragging the hairy mushroom to the right, its about the size of my hand..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.