The Reef Tank banner

Jared J's 29 reef build

8K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  maniac424 
#1 ·
Ok, I thought this was a 30g but apparently it's a 29g lol. So heres what I have so far. The lights are 2x24 T5 super actinics and a 150 HQI 14K MH.

This is the tank with the stone paint on the back

And some plumbing

See less See more
#4 ·
BTW specs so far:

Lights- 2x24 T% super blue/ 150W HQI 14K MH
Eheim 1250 pump for the sump
Turboflotor 1000 skimmer w/ Oceanrunner 2700 needlewheel
45lbs live rock, still debating on some coral on the bottom
Two powerheads will be behind the rock
Two Koralia's out front for circulation

I also have a Talbot's Damsel so far out in the tub with the love rock

#9 ·
Had to change plans. I didn't like the way the light fixture was swinging back and forth when the a/c came on or when somebody walked passed the tank. So, I had to pull out the canopy and I'm going to attach some supports across the top and stain them and just rest the lights on the supports.

I think I'm still going to leave the wires attached since I've gone through all that trouble, but the weight of the lights will be supported by the canopy. Sitting them on the canopy keeps the lights about 7 inches from the water which should be fine. I may have to put some black contact paper on the outside of the tank on the right side to keep the reflections off the wall though :)

#10 ·
Looks good. The reflection might not be so bad once you get stuff in the tank that starts absorbing some of the light. The canopy looks like a good idea and the extra 7" may be useful in helping to keep base jumping fish from landing on your carpet.

Best of luck as you continue to move forward with this system.

#11 ·
Well, the Talbot's Damsel died. I dont know why though, he looked great when I put him in the QT. Temps at 79, no ammonia because I cycled the filter with the rock. The Eibli angel is doing well, eating off a piece of rock I put in the QT, but won't eat the Pygmy Diet yet. Gonna try mysis in a day or so. I guess I won't try another damsel.

#14 ·
Ok, done with the rocks. I still have a couple tonga branches that I'd like to put in somewhere. I did get too much rock though. I bought 50lbs and if I had used it all it would have been way too much. There is a big powerhead that is behind the rocks and is keeping the back clean and I am starting to grow attached to the BB look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.