The Reef Tank banner

Fresh to Salt 42 Gallon Half Moon

6K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  blazend 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Time for tank number 2 unfortunately not a reef tank this time and don't even try to talk me into it i want nothing to do with corals in this tank haha. (If you make it to page 2 you will see i completely did what i said i wasn't going to do ha)

It will be a 42 gallon half moon FOWLR.

So what do we have
42 Gallon Tank
58 lbs of dry rock
8 lbs of live rock (seed rock)
15 lbs of fine white sand

USA Satelite LED Light
Hydor Internal Skimmer
sunsun 1300 GPH Wavemaker (1 is setup, got a second on hand if need be)
ATO Top Off System (ill have to get a water reservoir 10-15 gallons)

Now that we are done with all that lets see what were working with.

This was how i had it setup with freshwater (discus tank)

Sooooo where are we sitting now.

I ordered Macro-500 which is a paste that hardens after it sits i use it to combine rocks to make crazy structures.

It took about an hour and then we let it sit for 24 hours and this is what we came up with. (this is without the live rock just all dry rock)

2 days later we decided to get this baby rolling so we added water and powerhead.

Tonight i will be adding the sand. This weekend i will add the skimmer and maybe next week setup the auto top off.

See less See more
#4 ·
The only 2 fish i have for sure that will be in there are my valentini puffer and orange tail / blue spotted puffer.

I already own these 2 fish and they are currently in my 20 gallon quarentine waiting to get in this new tank.

The tank has been cycling since last tuesday the 31st.

Id like to add a wrasse and possibly a firefish or 2.

#9 ·
I moved Biggy (blue spotted/orange tail puffer) to my room QT tank. He killed a coris wrasse that i loved dearly. I am still upset about that. He was very aggressive trying to go after the Valentini puffer next.

On the note of firefish mine are best friends. I was told not to mix purple with a regular but mine literally sleep under the same rock and the purple seems to hide more then the white but the white literally goes and gets the purple from his cave when i feed it is really fun to watch.

#11 ·
Yes at the moment the regular firefish is the only active fish. The purple stays in his corner and the valentini puffer is either laying on the rocks or swimming around following the firefish.

They seem happy though.

#19 ·
Sorry i have been gone lately and havent updated. But i thought i should show you this tank and what i have done with it.

I know people will frown on this but it has been up and fine for over 3 months and i do have to feed baby brine shrimp 3x a day and also 1 frozen cube per day as well. I use flake food to occupy the fish and i hand feed seahorses using a long long turkey baster.

Current stock
2 eretrus seahorses
5 firefish (2 purps)
1 henichos
1 random file fish (cleans tank)

All and all i wouldn't do a moon tank again due to depth of this 42 gallon. I over feed it a lot due to seahorses and i have to do weekly and sometimes weekend water changes. Just to combat the ditrus but i do get a lot of compliments on this tank since i switched the lighting to reef breeders.

#23 ·
So this tank has changed quite a bit since i moved into my house. But i was trying to do a schooling type tank. This is what i came up with.

3 regular fire fish
2 purples (1 is shy)
1 lytertail anthias
1 barlett anthias
1 yellow watch men goby
1 candy cane pistol shrimp (he has paired up with goby)

Corals
1 neptun or spagetti (not sure real name i got from a local reefer Green kenya tree looking coral) I got as frag and is huge now.
2 duncan corals (started as single head frags)
3 or so mushrooms on middle rock hard to see in pics

#24 ·
Ok so i bought this new house and i have had no time to take pictures. Here is what the tank has been up too. These corals are growing like crazy!

Barlett anthias didnt get along with my flasher wrasse. I traded him and got myself a sunset anthias.

These seem like a decent fit as they all get along.

I will try to take pics soon of a yosha goby and pistol shrimp that i got to pair up in this tank as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.