The Reef Tank banner

Who keep 90+ on the 2nd floor??

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  medicdiver 
#1 ·
I need to know this because I will be adding a 90 to the second floor of my home. It will sit right above a supporting wall of the garage.

Thanks

BTW: Am I pushing it or no?

#5 ·
You will likely be fine. I can't tell which way the joists run. You just need to try to have it sit perpendicular to the joists and try to span it accross 3 joists, as best as possible. On a standard 16" spacing you just barerly can get the 3. The problem with 4' tanks is that they only get a span of 2 joists usually and you may get some bounce out of the floor when you walk in front of it.

#6 ·
The joints are prep to the tank. I don't want to tear down the insulation but the two adjacent walls in that little tool space looks like it can hold a bit weight also. So this tank seem to be supported by 3 ways. But maybe those two walls just act as seperators and do nothing. I'll go get one of those sonar things in homedepot that tells me if there is wood in the drywall.

#8 ·
I think it will be fine. I had a 125 in my old townhome and I had to have it sit parralel with the joists. It did get some bounce when I walked in front of it, but it made it two years with no problems. Initially I was nervous and my car sat in the garage below it, but it was fine.

#11 ·
your OK w/that. Juat think of a jacuzzi tub in a bathroom. There isn't any extra steps taken to sure up the floor in bathrooms. As long as its new construction. Your joist are more likely on 2' centers(unless its a custom home)
If you look REAL close you can see nail/screw have been patched on the sheetrock where the joist are.

#16 ·
Why? I never said it wouldn't hold, just that some flex and bounce was possible out of the floor. Advice was given to try to sit the tank in one direction over the other... I never suggested tearing the ceiling down, gangsta thought of that one by himself I was hoping someone would chime in before I woke up to tell him it wasn't necessary to go that far:D

#19 ·
No I havn't tear a part of my ceiling off. I have one of those sonar thingys used to install my LCD. the stud finder i think thats what they call it.

Lol... I like my username. It demystifies the street creditibility of gangsters since i'm obviously not a gangsta.

#22 ·
If this is going into a bedroom or a room of square shape. Your joists will run toards the middle of you house from the long edges. If the room is long (as in over a living room or kitchen) more than likely you will have some type of beam from the ext wall to the middle, then the joists will go parallel to the longest ext wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.