The Reef Tank banner

Whats the best salt mix????

Tags
salt saltmix
27K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Nate_Bro 
#1 ·
hello,

i have been in the hobby awhile and have tried a bunch of different salt mixes. i can really only say a few of them had an noticable difference but never really had a bad experiance with any of them. i currently am on red sea coral pro salt and seem fine. no problems, par all good so think its a good salt. i may just stick with this stuff unless someone can say a salt that is the best! is there any one salt out there that is by far the best? one that anyone thinks we all should use? one that has definite visual improvments. what do you guys think?

#3 ·
it depends on what you want... and what is in you tank/equipment.

Because most commercially brand of salt are all very good (not to mention made in the same handful of factories by the same parent companies) the best salt is the cheapest tank IMO (if it is a major brand).

#6 ·
I should add that if you are using an "elevated" Ca/Alk/MG salt (reef crystals and the like) and your coral demand is not using it, then you are just wasting money. Elevated component salts are meant to be similar to dosing but with a WC rather than with a daily two-part. If you do not know your Ca/Alk demand, then use a regular salt. Those with Ca Reactors do not need an elevated salt either.

#8 ·
Be very very careful about generalizing from a sample size of 2

The study can be used to get an idea but salt sample vary considerably. do not assume that the study is representative. So it kinda like predicting a presidential election by only asking two people. Not to say that the article is not somewhat useful but it is a major red-flag for anyone with a knowledge of statistics

#9 ·
I agree, but it gives you an idea of whats really in the salt. Plus this was back in 2008.....im sure stuff has changed since then(like formulas). I know several people who switched to coralife salt because of this (me included) and have been happier since. I would like to see an updated version for sure, and im sure they limited it to 2 tests per salt to reduce costs (unfortunatly).

#13 ·
Whichever brand you go with in the end, the best advice is to buy in bulk. You will get salt mix TONS cheaper if you buy like a 200gal box instead of a 50gal bag. It's really worth it. IO Reef Crystals is a great salt mix as well but Coralife is my personal fav. I like the smell of it better. LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.