The Reef Tank banner

What eats caulerpa?

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dagabe1 
#1 ·
Does anybody know of an invert that will eat bubble caulerpa? My tank is getting filled with caulerpa and this brown kelp-like stuff on my LR and it's really becoming a pain to keep trimming back. I've accepted the fact that nothing's gonna eat the kelp stuff (it's tough and doesn't look very appetizing) but I though maybe something could control the caulerpa. Ideas? I can't get a fish because I've already got 3 fish in my 27gal and I think I'm at the tank's bio limit. Thanks guys and gals :)

#2 ·
Hey SOS-
Considering the size of the tank, you are probably going to have to pull the rocks and remove the caulerpa manually. We are going to do this with 2 of our rocks. Get it at the source and keep on pruning! I hate messing with the rocks in the tank, but in the case of caulerpa, it's worth it to get it out of the display tank.

HTH-
Brooke

#3 ·
The caulerpa is worth money. If I'm not mistaken one hand full costs about $20 at the LFSs here in the Detroit Area. Maybe you can start trading it in for store credit. The other stuff I have no idea about. But the caulerpa is worth money/trade-in at least.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi,

Had a yellow tang that just loved the stuff, kept my 55 gallon nice and clean. On the chat board though people are having different results. Some tangs will eat it others won't. See if you can get one from your LFS if they will trade it back in for a different one if it does not eat it. You also might try taking some caulerpa to your LFS and see if they will put some in there tang tank, then you can pick one that eats it.

Other things to cut down on its growth, is to have a protien skimmer or a more efficient one. Feed less often. If you don't already have one, add a refugium(sp) another tank plumbed in for algea growth. Deep sand bed with critters.

Hope this helps:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.