The Reef Tank banner
1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  partobe 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just want to do a survey on people's water change methods. Here's how we do ours:
<O:p
We have a 90 gallon tank with a sump and change 10 gallons at a time (two five gallon buckets). We leave the pumps on and while I siphon out of the main tank my husband fills the new water into the sump. After the first five gallons, we dump the old water, then start again with the next five gallons. Now, I'm thinking that I'm siphoning out the good water we just poured it as it's already starting to circulate in the tank. My husband likes to keep the pumps on so it doesn't stir up the water so much. But, do the fish really care if things get stirred up? I'd rather turn the pumps off, take out 10 gallons, then add in 10 gallons.
Thanks!

#2 ·
I don't think the fish care - but in my 135-gallon I siphon out 25% of the old water and then put in the new mixed RO/DI water using a pump with a bunch of plastic tubing. I have 2 50-gallon buckets I use only for water changes, I make the RO in it and mix the salt in with power heads.

Hope this helps!
HHC

#3 ·
How big is your sump???

one idea is to go ahead and prepare all of the new salt water you are going to need and then shut everything down. siphon anything you need out of the display and then empty the rest of the water necessary for your water change out of your sump with a shop vac or drain, depending on if you have a drain or not. Then pour the new water into the sump and turn the pumps back on.
You are defeating the purpose to some extent by leaving the water circulating.

There shouldnt be that much crap stirred up unless you have a fuge with sand in your sump, if so, hold or figure out how to hold a plate over the sand bed when you pour new water in so it doesnt get disturbed so much.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. The sump is pretty big (sorry I don't have exact measurement). It holds the heater in one section where the overflow comes in, the protein skimmer sits in the middle section and the main circulation pump sits in the third section. If we drain out even five gallons, it starts to go below the level of the pump and the pump starts to suck air. So, if we're defeating the purpose, then I'll convince my husband to leave the pumps off while we exchange the water!

#6 ·
we do 35 gallons a week we use RO water in a 35 gallon plastic container where I let the water set and aeriate overnight then we check the water parameters of the new fresh water going into the show tank to make sure it's compatable ...we shut our pumps down and use a phython syphoning system to take 35 gallons out of the main tank(and it dosent stir things up that bad at all) and then we let the new water out through our sump from a mag pump......and start the pumps back up again(the only pumps we shut off are the refugium pump and the main sump pump we leave all the seio pumps still running(3) I use to pull water out as I put new in and I think your right you drain alot of fresh water out and don't get the nitrates out you should!

#7 ·
I usually prepare the SW the night B4. Test and adjust any parameters in the new SW mix. Luckly my tank is close to my sink in the laundry room. I have a garden hose with a quick disconnect at both ends and I put one on the pump. I shut everything down. Pump 65 gals of water out of the tank into the sink. Then remove the pump and hook it up the to other end of the hose and reverse the process. Pumping new SW from a 65g drum. I can take 40g out of the tank w/o exposing coral or rock and the other 25g comes out of the sump. This is done once a week.

#10 ·
this is my method. here is a pic of the semi-auto WC system. more manual than auto, but it is very easy.

to start the process. i turn on a powerstrip with turns on the soleniod to let the water fill the tank. there is a float switch that i am able to move up and down to adjust the amount of water i will make up. there is a timer on the powerstrip that will turn on a PH and the heater. it comes on 2 hours after i start the fill.

at some point i remember that i started the process and will go down and start raising the S.G. i put in 12 scoops of salt. it gets it close. over the next several hours i adjust accordingly.

after it has not changed for an hour i will start the actual WC. i have a bulkhead installed on the sump with a ball valve. if there is very little detritus in the sump than i can just turn the ball valve and empty 10g of water into 2-5g measured buckets. when the buckets are filled i close the ball valve on the drain line. i turn off the powerstrip that has the PH and heater on it. turn the ball valve that is on the drain for the WC tank and let it fill the sump back up. i do not have to turn off any pumps or anything. takes very little time.

i am planning on putting in a conical settling tank to make it even easier. all detritus will be collected here. right now if there is detritus in the sump i have to use an extension hose on the drain and siphon it out. not a big deal, but would be nice to not have to do it. :D

G~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.