The Reef Tank banner

Secrets about lighting

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  darthteddy 
#1 ·
Ok i just stumbled on the one thing that everyone has and wants that everyone out there is overpaying for. The thing i am talking about is lights. Whilst using the bathroom in my parents master bathroom i began to read a gardening magazeen. It is the before winter sale and they have lights for indoor planters. They had 1000w Metal Haloid Lighgts with ballast for only$275. Their regular is only $325! They also have all these like high pressure sodium lights. I am sure that you could put these on a tank and have great results. They had a number of awsome stuff like timers and heaters dosers and all that stuff for plants reel cheep. I think that i sould pick up gardening to see what other finds i could find. God i hope i dont get wakked for telling all the Lighting secrets.
Just thought you'd like to know

#2 ·
Thanks for sharing BUT, High Pressure Sodium Lights are the wrong spectrum for healthy reef tanks. Trust me if there were an inexpensive alternative someone would have found it.
Actually if one is handy there are commercially available DIY parts out there that reduce the cost of good high intensity lighting. Not everyone is comfortable putting together MH lighting from unassembled parts. The bulbs are always the most expensive parts because of the type and spectrum we use is not that common in everyday usage

#3 ·
Or keep you eye out for second hand stuff, and just add in new bulbs.
In fact the two LFS we frequent have almost always got second hand fixtures with ballasts, and will quiet often sell them cheaply with a new bulb... (cheaper than new of course, but still a few $$)

#5 ·
I didnt mean that the sodium bulbs were the only ones just stating that they sold them. They also have good prices on pumps and stuff. For my B-Day i am asking for a system. Is there like a max watt per gallon rate or rather is it posible to hve to much light?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.