The Reef Tank banner

ScruffyRubicon's 40g Coast-to-Coast Breeder Build

86K views 471 replies 28 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 · (Edited)
Every since my move in 2009, I have been moving backwards with my tank maintenance. I'm back to lugging buckets up and down stairs. Prior to the move I had a 80% automated 125g. I know have 2 - 34g Solanas and a 20g. It's gotten to be a hassle that I don't have the time for.

I've always wanted a 4' x 4' x 2' tank but it also just isn't feasible for me right now. I had also planned on building a hatchery at some point for my percula pair. The percula's have been hit and miss with their spawning and with reasons mentioned above, I have decided that if I am going to raise clowns, it will be on a much smaller scale.

This leads me to an option I have been throwing around for a while, shutting down my current tanks and doing a 40g breeder build. I have one just sitting in the basement right now that I was planning on using for my hatchery. I want to take my time with this and make it as low maintenance as possible.

I'm going to try my hand at building my own stand and hood. I want a bit of a lip on the stand in front so I have a small area to work and even for my cats to sit and watch if they want.

#2 ·
Tank will get a mix of all of the corals from my 2 - 34g solanas. I currently have one acro, several types of plating and encrusting montis, blasts, gorgonian, some yuma ricordia and zoos.

My percula pair will make the move, if the female makes it from her current hunger strike/old age. I have had a black barred convict goby in the past and will have to have one for this tank. That will likely be all for fish.

I miss having a sump. It is going to be a must. The overflow area in the solana is just too small to have any kind of decent equipment.

#6 ·
I have a plan for the stand now. It's based off of a couple I have seen plans for. I'm extending the front out as mentioned above. Hoping I can pick up some of the lumber later today.

#8 ·
I've got the framing material! Now just to find the time to make some cuts and get this going.

Getting ahead of myself a bit here but:

Overflow:
I was looking at two 1-1/2" returns. How much flow can I expect to get out of this sized plumbing? Would it be better to have both overflows tie together (Y) before going to the sump or run two separate overflow lines to the sump?

#11 ·
Welcome to the 40B club!

#13 ·
Got all of my stand frame boards cut today. I still need to get some time to make sure all of my cuts are even. Like I mentioned above, woodworking is out of my element. Cuts are not too bad but I do need to sand a few to make sure they are even with corresponding boards.

#15 ·
I am actually using that exact drawing with an extension to give me the shelf I want off the front. The extension will also give me a lip on the sides as well. I am also adding another support on the bottom to support my sump.

#26 ·
I've not really looked at the C2C/BeanAnimal until now. It is interesting(Looked at Earl's thread). I like the idea of it being very quiet. I'm a bit unsure as to the amount of space it would take up in a 40b. I still have plenty of time to look into what I really want here.

I will be moving my large LTA into this tank and it would appear to be safer with the C2C. Plan at this point is to move the LTA into the tank with the clowns before moving any of my corals over. I am hoping that the LTA will find a spot like it has now ,so that it may not move around.

#28 ·
I got quite a bit done on the stand frame today. As pictured above, I am done. Part of the extensions are complete. I had two boards that were warped beyond use and I need to cut a couple of new boards to finish up. Tons going on the rest of the day so I am not sure I will get pics up before tomorrow.

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Great job on the stand! I do like the extra lip in the front. Any plans yet on skinning it? Paint? Stain?
I was thinking 1/2" Birch. My biggest issue at this point is not having the woodworking tools I need. I did all these cuts with a compound miter saw. I could sure use a table saw, but I'm sure I can get by with what I have.

Not sure on stain just yet.

#34 ·
I may have to shim slightly. I have about 1/8" of space below one corner. It is going on carpet so I may not either. Top is very level.

#35 ·
I was just thinking about the work area when I decided to add the extra lip on top. I hadn't really thought about the extra space for controllers, equipment and storage.

#38 ·
I was going to use stained sealed wood for the shelf. I now am thinking maybe putting down tile across the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.