The Reef Tank banner

Reef-n-a-Jug

37K views 627 replies 20 participants last post by  hackshobby 
#1 ·
Yep, as the name says, a reef in a jug. With the recent activity with a 'pico' thread, and the mention of the way cool 'Nano Jam' thread popping up, I decided to do something I've been wanting too....start my own pico system. This is coinciding with me teaching my son biology at the moment and we spend a lot of time on Hack's-Reef doing research. So figured this would be as good as it gets for an opportunity to start one. I'm going to take this project to the um'th degree in simplicity.....As 'self sustaining as I can figure out. I've seen pictures of 'reefs in jars' before, but have difficulty in digging up the threads...so hoping this will drag the folks out in the open that still have some on going, and will join in here. All are welcome to jump in and follow along, or even, preferably even give one a try so notes can be compared. I'm starting at 'simple' and adjusting my thinking a smidge either direction as the need arises.
In the abstract I'm looking to keep.....(" a 1-gallon'ish size container, yet to be narrowed down, with softies I've come to be familiar with from our existing 210 gallon 'softies' reef. Planning on using ambient sun light from our fish room only. Room heating. Aeration/circulation yet to be decided upon, as well as an open or sealed top. There will be no fish, as to make this as easy as possible, but haven't ruled out snails, or crabs/shrimp yet to introduce a nutrient source. Which I may do simply by the addition of 'dirty water' from our main tank.")
I'll add more shortly as I begin gathering 'stuff', and just wanted to let folks know about a new boat at the dock if'n any one was interested. This could be fun to be had here, so feel free to join in. All the best,
Hack

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm taking a simpler trail I think Jerry. I can picture either one of my 'nano' size circ pumps....I have a bucket full of old Rio pumps, if they fit in whatever I come up with, or even as simple as an air hose. Both have draw backs in such a small system.....pump would equal heat build up, and of course an air line would become an evaporation/salt spray issue. Long road for a slow thinker lay ahead.:beer:
Hack

#4 ·
This makes me wanna find the one thread im thinkin of. Had a sealed 1g glass 'jug' with an airstone and a simple 2 color led light (cool white & royal blue) had a few softies in it and a lil sand. The owner stated things went in cycles, some corals would triumph then die off and other corals would triumph and die off repeat repeat.. i think water changes were made but i dont believe feeding or any other inteventions were done.. but ive been wrong before.. makes me wanna do one too!

#5 ·
That is the thread/post I have in the back of my mind also Phane. Was almost like a 'seal it and forget it' jar. I can almost picture it busting at the seams with Mushrooms. I'm thinking along those lines for my attempt.
Hack

#7 ·
Yeah even without the pictures Chi, I think that is the thread I was thinking of. THANKS for finding it that fast.
Hack

#8 ·
All that recent shinanigans with these 'picture storage sites' has really hurt gathering past data. I know that site I use to use to host my pics started charging to share. ("Don't worry Photo Bucket, I won't mention you folks by name. Ooooops, me bad."):D NOPE!
Hack

#10 ·
Even the first step, choosing a container has me himming and hauling for the rest of the night. I have this mental image of a nice glass vase, about a gallons worth, but happen to have a house full of old plastic pretzel jugs. I'm picturing this thing, God willing, running into Hack's college years if'n successful, and I want to adjust my manufacturing to some with a decent life span. And am not real sure if Utz Pretzels had salt water in mind when they spec'd out their container. Well, salt yea, sure....but water? I want something that won't fade or yellow, so will probably go out tomorrow at one of the local craft stores and find something made of glass. OH YEAH.....I'm thinking of this project coasting in the ball park of ZERO!
Hack

#12 ·
YES! THAT'S IT! Thanks Pal! Though I am to improve if possible with what we've learned as a community around here, and as a hobby. Which I want to be a mantra for this experiment....I don't want to take steps back, I want to be able to further our hobby. Like DSB.....I know the argument, and when confronted with an 8 yo tank, it's kind of tough to say 'they don't work'...BUT....we've learned what goes in MUST come out. I just don't see the export in having one, LONG TERM.
Hack

#14 ·
Booyah!:beer:
Hack

DISCLAMMER

I'm not hi-jacking, nor copy-catting that historically way cool 'Nano Jam' thread! Any similarities are strictly coincidental! :agree:

#16 ·
Over my morning coffee I followed Chi's link to the site I was looking for.....Brand429's awesome pico experiment. https://www.reefs.org/forums/topic97392.html Read it through multiple times, and gleamed more and more insight from reading it through and through. DEEP SAND BEDS.....when I fell asleep last night during a movie, it was with the thought DSB's were terrible and a dated concept. After rereading Branon's posts, he removes the substrate completely once a year, bringing with it the 'nutrient export' that a traditional DSB doesn't allow for. At this early stage I don't want to throw nothing off the table without spinning it around a few times and kicking the tires myself, and carefully rethink any 'preconceived' bias's. Any thoughts on Brandon's approach to 'nutrient export through a DSB? Back to my coffee....rushing this a bit out of excitement of getting this started.
Hack

#17 ·
Now this for me and Hack won't be an 'experiment/project' if we just see what we're thinking of and emulate it to the 'T'. First off, that's just no FUN....like buying a puzzle that's already glued together. Even before we venture out this morning to buy/find the ideal container for this journey, and I am SOOOOOO EXCITED to go out and get started, some 'science' must take place. From our 'hypothesis', to the research to place us on the right path, to observational analysis of a system we already have in front of us to steer us a bit.....Yeah, I'm dieing to rush out even before I finish my morning coffee....and yea, I can travel with it. Our container.....a 'vase' has been done, and have noticed with a little looking, has been pretty much replicated by a trillion people. Which is fine, but makes me wonder if it's the 'design' that makes it work, or the 'copy cat' that makes it popular
? Well, like a glass of GOOD single malt Scotch.....a kitchen tumbler will hold it and ice cube and a splash of water, BUT.....a Tulip glass, with just a dram of this elixir, served at room temp, a swirl to allow the liquid air interface to share it's secrets will allow this 40 proof stuff to be all it can be. Not, 'here's your drink bub'.
Lots of Corals do better with some 'nutrients present', thus consuming and expelling a waist product.....so I'm thinking a 'sealed' container will inhibit gas exchange, but helps with the inevitable evaporation that will be way annoying on an open bubbling salt water system. Can't jump out the air plane without a chute on first, well, you can, but highly doubt the results will be successful. So I'm reasoning a container with a tapper towards the top to hold, whether tightly, or loosely a top/lid device. I'm leaning towards an old fashioned glass five and dime store fish bowl at the moment......because of said reasoning, and my inherent loathing over 'copy catting'. Back to coffee,
Hack

#18 ·
.....always COFFEE FIRST! Let's see.....of course I meant 40% bvol, not 40 proof. :doh: And after me wasting the last 45 minutes looking myself tearing the cellar and garage and storage shed apart for just such a fish bowl, which I KNOW we have several, if not approaching 100 of them here somewhere. Makes me wonder if I'll be alone on this very first step, or if MOST of you ain't out in their sheds doing the same thing as I type this? :D ("I wish this site would quit moving their 'emojis' around so a 'hunt n peck' guy like me can find them quicker.")
Hack

#19 ·
I am kind of following along not to good with long posts... lol skimm through them and get lost and read the whole thing and get even more lost! Lol
How big are you wanting the jar/bowl? 1 gallon? Right?

Looking forward to this!!! Maybe I will do one myself lol!

#21 ·
Long posts, 'build threads', and 'let's have some fun while we do something threads' are far easier to follow if you get in on the ground floor. But I'll tell you a secrete, psssssst, if you see Hack involved in the thread somewhere, ESPECIALLY if it's one he starts, it don't make a lot of difference when you join.....there'll be dry humor in there wherever you start. :beer:
Hack

#22 ·
Thanks Chi.....adds credence to my thought process, that it really was a 'thought process', and not just me killing time. :agree: So there is an advantage in a tappered upper section to help direct evaporation back down into the container.
Hack

#23 · (Edited)
Went container shopping this afternoon, and was surprised to see all the 'five n dime' store type fish bowls are now plastic. Even at my lfs. So a quick glance in the hobby store put me face to face with providence......A 'Vase fish bowl'. Evidently FW fish jars must be very popular at the moment. The jar is the size I was looking for, though my hand won't fit down the neck. That just became Hack's job. And at $7.00, the price didn't make me cry. I am 86.734 % pleased with it, but may go browse a little more tomorrow. The neck diameter would be the selling point if I see another one. Also included a shot of PLAN B as well. Now to go see if I can figure out where I saw all our circ and air pumps and lines last.
Hack

#24 · (Edited)
Another handful of potential usable items. Amazing how big a pile of spare equipment accumulates in our hobby. I was thrilled today when Jen's eyes lite up about this project. First words out her her mouth were, "Where are 'we' going to put it?". I was personally thinking out in the front room with our reef tank on the top shelf. Thinking she could be talked into the living room, or dinning room, but since this is tentatively going the 'natural light' rout, I need it right there in the front room. She sounded a smidge bummed. Going to add some fresh water to it before toooooo long, and take a PAR reading.
Hack

#26 ·
Walmart has the 1 gallon drum tanks like everyone used to use for gold fish.
Online it showed them under $10.00. I am sure I have one around some where.
Haven't looked yet.
I was sure/positive of the same thing Jerry.....a/ Every place would have them. b/ We have a bunch laying around here somewhere. WRONG on both counts. :doh:
Hack

#32 ·
That is interesting right there.....maybe not for me right now, but the 'concept' looks intriguing. I could picture some interesting thoughts from you as you tried this. :beer:
Hack

#28 ·
So i suppose one of the first questions we need to ask is how diverse the biolife should in in our gallon pico tanks? Are we talking all 3 of the main types of corals, should we have things like feather dusters, bristle worms, sand dwelling worms, (i think pods are probably unavoidable). May even be a coral food source. Id like to set one up as well but it wont be for a few months. Im thinking itll be on the kitchen table and have a circular light fixture that the vase type tank will support on its own. It will have to be heat regulated in the winter so im going to need to find a heater 'stand' to heat it from the bottom up.

Untill then ill just get ideas from your guys' builds :)

#31 ·
So i suppose one of the first questions we need to ask is how diverse the biolife should in in our gallon pico tanks? Are we talking all 3 of the main types of corals, should we have things like feather dusters, bristle worms, sand dwelling worms, (i think pods are probably unavoidable). May even be a coral food source. Id like to set one up as well but it wont be for a few months. Im thinking itll be on the kitchen table and have a circular light fixture that the vase type tank will support on its own. It will have to be heat regulated in the winter so im going to need to find a heater 'stand' to heat it from the bottom up.

Untill then ill just get ideas from your guys' builds :)
I'm personally for this project of ours' heading down the path that is all covered over with growth, and can barely be seen.....the path of as simple as snot as I can develop. Heat will be room heat, light will be ambient, and am not even aiming for aesthetics necessarily. Got a lot of tests to run, and verify before I begin, the biggest up first is a PAR reading when the sun ever decides to come back out if ever around here. :doh: I am sticking strictly with softies that I have in our main tank that I have witnessed growing well under similar conditions over the last few years.... Mushrooms, and a few Leathers, and perhaps some Button Polyps and a Kenya. Existing LR with said items attached, and substrate yet to be decided on if I will or won't.
Hack

#30 ·
Thanks Jerry. Our 2 local Hell'Marts had em in plastic only. Looked at another lfs this morning.....(1) gallon was $19.00. Ya know, I'm liking my first choice more and more. Picked up some more incidentals while I was there though.....'clean' air lines, air stones, and control valves. And of course now that I bought them I'll find the ones I KNOW are just laying around here somewhere.
Hack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.