Originally Posted by Hendersonracing
I began to notice all my algae in the tank disapear so I figured it was doing its job..I also began to notice my Alk dropping in the 7'sh range on DKH and became a little worried so I turned my reactor up to bring the alk up...well I have done a few water changes and not ran the media and my alk was up to 13dkh this morning....I have been told that the phosphate remover has aluminum in it and it can be bad on the tank?????any help is appreciated....I have removed most of the corals and brought them here to work to try to keep them from bleaching???? what should I do??? also the calcium was at 500?
...I turned my reactor off to try to bring things back down to normal?
Although I am not familiar with the composition of this particular product (as I have never used the Seachem product), if it is indeed aluminum, it will be problematic for both alkalinity (alumin exchange resins + alkalinity = alumin carbonate) and for Sarcophyton spp.
in the tank. If you system is stony corals, then the drop in alk is not good, if your tank has softies (octocorals), then the aluminum salts are not good. I do not know this for fact, but I would think that this product is intended as a means of controlling phosphate for FO systems rather than coral reef systems (which will work better with judicious use of Granular Ferric Hydroxide products as a means of reducing free phospohate in the tank).
Keep in mind that phosphate removers must react with free phosphate in the water column to do their job, so this does not mean that they have removed all phosphate in the system when they appear to do their job via water testing. Most phosphates in the tank will reside either as ad
sorbed phosphates (to calcareous substrates like aragonite sand
and live rock up to 30% w/w), as polyphosphate polymers, as organophosphates and related compounds (primarily residing in algal biomass), or as part of aminophosphates (as part of protein/amino acid biomass in the tank for fishes, inverts, and especially bacterial biomass). These sources may still act like sinks in the tank, only providing free phosphates when they are acted on by some chemical conditions which increase solubility (like your anaerobic portions of the sandbed as they acidify) or the activity of phosphatase
enzymes (remember, bacteria do not have mouths, they must release enzymes and create a "soup" in which they live to absorb nutrients through their external membranes), or algal thallus degradation when macroalgae go "sexual" (or cyanobacteria die off each evening). It is through these releases of free phosphate that many algae gain their phosphate needs, including those algae that have facultative absorption of phosphate in excess of their physiological needs (and store it for times of low free phosphate). This allows for some spp of algae to be resistant to phosphate reduction as a means of control, so it becomes imperative under these resistant infestations to remove the algal biomass as a means of exporting the excessive amounts of phosphate that these thalli contain.
More later if you want it.
Personally I would test both your calcium and your alkalinity as well as your Mg before making any more adjustments to the calcium reactor
, especially after using any product that uses either adsorptive resins or exchange resins as their means of function to remove ions from the water column, along with some big water changes.