The Reef Tank banner

Quader94 & Biowheels 30 Gallon Frag Tank Build

16K views 81 replies 14 participants last post by  quader94 
#1 ·
well heres the history of the tank and why we got it for free- my dads know this one family for a really long time and the husband always loved his fish tank and always took care of it. but then he got really sick a few months back and had a heart aneriszm (spelling:confused:) and sadly he passed away :( and his family couldnt take care of the tank and the tank slowly got messier and dirtier. we found out on friday about the tank and offered to take care of the fish in it and take the tank and everything with it. the family told us we can get it today (monday) so we drove to the shore and took the tank down and brought it back to our house and drip acclimated all the fish for my FW 135 down stairs so the fish would have more room to swim. there was a mated pair of parrot chichlids and there was 20 chichlids in the tank along with a catfish that barked when i took it out of the water to put in a fish bag, it was pretty funny :funny: and two huge plecos. so the fish our now happily in the huge 135 swimming around eating like horses and all good:) so now for the tank.

im uploading pics atm so it may take a while

#11 ·
Sad story.... but at least the fish will be better cared for.

If the tank has a leak, just redoing the silicone in the tank isn't going to fix it, you have to take the tank completely apart as the silicone between the panels is the actual seal, not the silicone inside the tank, that is only there to protect the seal. Trust me when I say you will be going through this again if you don't do it now.

#14 ·
Sad story.... but at least the fish will be better cared for.

If the tank has a leak, just redoing the silicone in the tank isn't going to fix it, you have to take the tank completely apart as the silicone between the panels is the actual seal, not the silicone inside the tank, that is only there to protect the seal. Trust me when I say you will be going through this again if you don't do it now.
im suprised it wouldnt protect it, ohwell gotta restart lol

#15 ·
they just sell them as upside down catfish. If you provide a branch or rock shelf for the to hang out under it will appreciate it. ANd most catfish make a grunt/bark when out of the water. When you pull a four footer out it can be a little distrubing :)

Hex's are neat tanks but a bit counterintuitive as a frag tank... just based on their depth and relatively small footprint.. but the price was right :agree:

#17 ·
ANd most catfish make a grunt/bark when out of the water. When you pull a four footer out it can be a little distrubing :)
:lol:

they just sell them as upside down catfish. If you provide a branch or rock shelf for the to hang out under it will appreciate it. ANd most catfish make a grunt/bark when out of the water. When you pull a four footer out it can be a little distrubing :)

Hex's are neat tanks but a bit counterintuitive as a frag tank... just based on their depth and relatively small footprint.. but the price was right :agree:
ill just move s that fake coral thing so it makes a good branch for him

and yes a hex tank isnt the "ideal" dimensions for a frag tank but like you said i cant beat the price:)

#32 ·
this things great, anyone who cuts pvc should get one !

a guy in my club was selling me a lumenbright mini for 25 bucks, he said we could have it for free, when we got there he gave us the mini, the 14k phoenix bulb inside of it, and a brand new lumenbright!

the mini

the lumenbright still has wrapping !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.