The Reef Tank banner

Protein skimmer producing tonnnnss of bubbles

29K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  juliew6611 
#1 ·
I have a coralife superskimmer 65 and its been running on my tank for about 3 months and its still shooting out tons of bubbles out of the bubble diffuser. I have the outlet tube cut so its the correct distance from the bottom pad and i have the diffuser box the correct distance in my water, also i have spent the last 3 months messing around with the flow adjustment valve on the intake tube as well as the knob on the top and nothing seems to be working. Im really close to scrapping this skimmer and purchasing a new one because it really isnt too pleasing to look at a tank thats filled with little bubbles. Is there anything i can do to make this stop? I really dont want to have to get rid of this skimmer and spend hundreds on a new one so any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

#30 ·
Beware! I too wanted to go "cheap" to keep costs down! You will get exactly what you pay for on this one. In the long run i ended up buying two skimmers because of the misfortune of purchasing a cheaper one first, thinking it was as good as the "higher priced" skimmers. (You pay for the name, right?) I really had wished that i just had saved my money up and went with the better skimmer from the get go. Read the reviews on anything before you buy it and try to educate yourself by asking others who have experience with it before you buy! Buying two, when you could have just spent a little more for better, just makes better sense.

#31 ·
"Not everyone is rich/blessed and there needs to be not such a black and white decision/opinion on low cost skimmers out there."

Live and learn. That's all i can say on this one.....:read:

#32 ·
sorry I have to clarify something - I took a prefilter sponge from my odysea 75 and put it on the intake on my coralife 65 and that is what stopped the mini bubble from going back into the tank - when i take it off it spits micros - also still need to plug the hole on the return pipe that stops the big bubbles

so without a prefilter sponge on your skimmer intake pump you will need the diffuser box.

#33 ·
Thanks for all the responses but finallllly after like a week or more the bubbles have stopped almost completely...i also stopped adding the stress coat and i am pretty sure thats what was making the bubbles happen, as some people have said in previous posts in this thread. There are still a few bubbles but its not enough to even really notice anymore, my water is really clear except fot the bubbles from my hob filter.

#36 ·
agreed.. LOL Same skimmer. have it in the sump, only overflowed twice for me to get smart and lower the setting... you want and I'm quoting what i learned here " to empty it 2x weekly and have a wet skim very dark tea colored." As long as I do top offs everyday, the level in the sump stays high enough where micro bubbles are in the tank. 2" submerged is where it seems to be happy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.