The Reef Tank banner

My 110xh

30K views 551 replies 18 participants last post by  bdial438 
#1 ·
I've had a 125xh for a couple years now and in the beginning it was a predator tank. I had a lion trigger grouper and eel. Well I wanted to get away from that and go towards a pretty fowlr. And now I'm going reef. I let the tank get away from me for a while. I wasn't taking care of it at all. But after a lot of hours invested in cleaning the glass and redoing the filters it's finally in a stable condition and ready for corals. My maintainence schedule is a 10-15 gal wc once a week followed by a 5 gal wc later that week. I replace my reactor media every month. If the po4 starts creepin I run gfo in the reactor and chemipure elite in the sump.
My equipment:
Kessil A150 15k x2, 10k x2
Mp40
Koralias x3 (not very sure of the gph)
Reef octopus 1000int
Tlf reactor with carbon
Coralife uv
Return pump is mag9

Livestock
Yellow eye kole
Princess parrot
Flame angel
Coral beauty
Bangai cardinals
Blue damsels
Mandarin
Several zoa colonies
3 different brains
Mushroom colonies
A lone ricordea
Caluastrea

My plans are to add some more dry rock do I
Can have some more area for my corals. I'm going to move some of the sps from my small tank to this tank since my small tank is declining (different story.)
I will also be adding a larger pump in place of the mag9. In the next few weeks of I can find the time I want to redo all the plumbing and run two 1" drains with an over the back return instead of 1 drain and 1 return. That will be done when I get a new pump. If I redo the plumbing ill be adding a settling chamber too. Ive been thinking of a bio pellet reactor too. Still researching that tho. Stay tuned for pics and more updates.

See less See more
#3 ·
Today I added a Tom aquatics hatch n feeder to the DT. hopefully I can get it to constantly pump out brine shrimp. I also noticed my bangais are all gone. I think my nem has been snacking at night. Everything else is getting pretty fat though. My wife is surprising me with a couple fish today after work.i have no clue what I'm getting.

#6 ·
The flame angel is doing great. Hes a great addition. His color just *POPS* he has yet to bother any corals so fingers crossed.

Thanks tlynn. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to get a new background. I'll get blue to brighten it up.

My wife got me my second favorite fish today. Naso tang! Woot woot.
She also got her favorite fish. A copperband butterfly. I've never kept one so I'm kinda worried. Oh well. PICS TO COME.

#9 ·
So here's my new buddy. He's a little on the thin side. Not to worry. Hell be fat in no time

Here's my wife's new addition.

#16 ·
Thanks, the reason I ask is I am starting to plan a tank (still a long way off) that will be built into a wall in my basement, I am restricted to 48" so I always like to look at the tanks I would like it to be high and have some depth but I also have to make sure it can fit through the door down into the basement.

#14 ·
I hate it. It is so high. I can't do anything in it. I don't like the tall tanks. As of right now. When I get more rock in it I'm sure I'll like how it looks with a ton of corals. I think the 24x24 will look nice. Do you have a thread started.

#15 ·
Not yet. I have been getting things for it but they are all in storage because I want to move with in the next year. The tank will be one of the first things I do when I move.

I have the tank, chiller, return pump, sump, rock and half Of the lights.

Its killing me to not start

#20 ·
Well my naso died yesterday. The day I got it I noticed it had some sores and spots on it. I called my dealer and told them. This is what they said "tangs are hard fish to deal with. We have a hard time keeping them. They always seem to get ich or hurt." this is two weeks in a row that they have tried to jip me. Well I ain't taking it. I'll be replacing it with a blonde naso and not ordering any tangs from them again. My kole tang is doing great. It had a big gash on him when he came in but he's all healed up now. I'm just really bummed about my naso. He was swimming and eating on day one. Day two he declined a lot and day three DRT. I'm not sure what happened. Ill have to keep a watchful eye an make sure nothing's wrong with the tank.

#21 ·
Hey man, like you said tangs are tough.....I bought a powder brown and blue hippo tang a couple weeks ago. The powder came in the day before i bought it and was told came from a guy who had him for three years. So i thought for sure was a perfect fish. And the blue hippo was big and fat so thought i was good with him to. Well three days after i put them in the powder had parasites and they both had ich......I ended up dosing my tank with garlic extreme, 1 drop for every 10 gallons and adding it with there food. Next day everything cleared up. Ich struck back though the next week and ever since just been adding garlic to there food and keeping them fed. There doing great, eating and very active. Just a few dots on them still but i think there going to kick it!! Anycase, your next one you get make sure you have some garlic extream.....does wonders!!!

#23 ·
Some updates.

I have redone my plumbing. I picked up an old iwaki 70rt and planned on using it. I bought all my plumbing to run the return over the back. I drilled a hole in my sump for a bulkhead and several hours later I get it all plumbed. Then my bulkhead starting leaking. Ugh! I just ignored that for a little bit. Next I started on the drain. This was the biggest pain. Or so I thought. I pulled out the old return and drilled a new hole in my sump for the drain to access the filter area. I plumbed the 1" into the sump and began making my drain at the top. Well I started with a normal durso drain but that failed. I made it to low so Both drains wouldn't work. After some finicking and adding a couple pieces I have it plumbed wonderfully. I now have two 1" drains on my tank. Yay! So when I get the old iwaki plugged in it works great. But it's the loudest thing Ive ever heard in ever. It's horrible. So I pulled the plug and called it a night.
Well today I put a new mag18 in the sump and capped the bulkhead. With some fine tuning I am able to run the new mag18 almost wide open. I successfully accomplished what I intended to do. I doubled my overall turnover rate in filtration. I will be adding a 50 micron pad just prior to the return area of the sump next week just for some more polishing.

I also redid my reactors and I now have one pump running two reactors and a uv. I need a valve so I can slow down my uv but other than that everything is running great.

My corals in the tank are showing signs of happiness. My Lps are thriving! They are doing phenomenal and growing quickly. My duncans are looking unreal. Some of my sps are just living while others are growing. My montis and birdsnest for example. No noticeable signs of growth. My tricolor valida and my green skinned mille are showing great PE. my mille is starting to get his green tinge back and my tri color is starting to tri color again. Im so excited.

#24 ·
A couple weeks back I picked up a nice size green monti cap. I'd say its about 8" or so in diameter. It's doing very well and already showing great growth around all sides. I hope it'll be my new show piece.

Today I am moving more pieces of sps from my 36 to the 120. The 36 isn't doing so well and I'm eventually completely remove it. I'm slowly moving the sps out. Im moving about 7 pieces today. All frags that haven't really done anything. They'll be on a rack in the bottom for a few days just to see how they fair.
I'll post a couple pics after while.

#25 ·
Heres my newest addition overall. I picked this up in cincinnati a couple weeks ago. it's got about a 1/4" growth overall right now. It's gettin better.

Here are the frags I moved from my 36 to this one. They are all kinda bleached out hence the move. They are mostly acros. Ones a green somethin-nother, a blue staghorn, blue lemonade acro, deep water lokani, another staghorn, a weird montipora species, and a random acan frag I found in my 36.

This is my nem. When I got it it was all white. It was poorly taken care of. It's starting to color up and look really nice. There is a slightly colored tip and on the base there are star looking white dots. I'm not sure what species it is yet.

Here's a small looking FTS. There is a glare from the windows. Sorry.

Hopefully for fathers day I'll be getting more rock to put in it. But so far I'm very happy with it's progress. More to come!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.