The Reef Tank banner

How Filefish Sleep - photos

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  ShirleyM 
#1 ·
Our Longnose Filefish sleeps like this every night... wedged between a pump line and the tank wall.

And our Saddleback MImic Filefish was caught sleeping like this the other night... hanging on to this cruising astrea snail!

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I would imagen that they are reef safe, right? They live in the open ocean under some type of sea grass, they eat small cruteceans among the grass. I use to see em every summer when I would visit my sister at an Island off the Gulf Coast. Thinsking about it, the ones I know at least, it would be a hard adjustment going from floating around in the open ocean, to then living in a tiny !@#$ tank!

#13 ·
canit0 said:
I would imagen that they are reef safe, right? They live in the open ocean under some type of sea grass, they eat small cruteceans among the grass. I use to see em every summer when I would visit my sister at an Island off the Gulf Coast. Thinsking about it, the ones I know at least, it would be a hard adjustment going from floating around in the open ocean, to then living in a tiny !@#$ tank!
I believe that their diet consists mainly of SPS polyps.

#15 ·
Some of you are thinking of the Saddleback Sharpnose Puffer, which is NOT reef safe. This is the mimic filefish, looks a lot like that puffer... and is reef safe, eats flakes and mysis shrimp.

The other one, the longnose filefish, is usually very difficult to keep alive b/c they usually won't eat. They are reef safe, as well. This one was eating mysis and flake food (witnessed that) in the reef shop where we got him. Two others were not eating.... yet...

They are really cool fish! And really small if you plan to keep larger aggressive fish in the ROwLR tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.