The Reef Tank banner

DOWflake safe?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Fish Dude32 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if dowflake is safe to use these days? I know that Bromium buildup was occurring in the past. I am trying to find a more economical solution than buying two part from bulkreefsupply.

Thanks!

#3 ·
What brand do you get there scruffy?

I called my local pool supply and they had no clue what I was talking about. An equipment co has dowflake at something like 80% pure or something for $14 for 50 pounds.

#5 ·
Dowflake is no longer safe unless you get some of the really dated stuff. Dow started putting an additive in it on purpose to curtail the use in aquariums. My suggestion is to buy a decent 2 part kit from a supplier like Bulk Reef Supply

#6 ·
I have been buying it from bulkreef but I was hoping to save even more $$$ by just buying a 50 pound bag of calcium chloride. Several spa places have calc chloride but they are not sure of the ingredients, meaning they say it just says calcium chloride. HOw can I get the msds of a product?

#9 ·
wow they put it in there to stop aquarium use?!?! why the he l l would they do that?!?! I am sure $$$ is involved but cmon that is ridiculous..

#10 ·
I do as well, but if there is any proprietary compounds they do not have to be listed. I use multiple items that they are not listed. They are generally listed as proprietary and do not list the exact compound they just give you the hazard listing.

Yes, Dow from what I understand added something to the mix to keep it from being used in aquariums due to the liability. You know how lawyers work, everything is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.