The Reef Tank banner

Cleaning microalgae from live rock

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Alice 
#1 ·
I have had my tank set up for a few months and as this is my first tank, undoubtedly made a few mistakes early on. One was not being aggressive about the algae early on, the other was not adding calcium for about a month! Argh!

Regardless, things are starting to pick up and I'm working on getting the coral/algae situation back under control. The question I have is about the best way to clean my live rock of old microalgae to make way for new corraline algae. I use tweezers to pick away the thick stuff and try to rub loose the tigher stuff with a finger. That seems to be working, but I was wondering if I should consider something like a toothbrush to get in a little closer.

Also, as a beginner, I'm not *THAT* certain what should stay and what should go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much in advance!

- Andy

#2 ·
Welcome to The Reef Tank Andy

Some macro can be more invasive than others. Any idea what kind you have? If it's really problematic, then yes, you can scrub the rocks with a clean toothbrush.

What size tank do you have? That will dictate what kind of algae munching critters you might want to try.

~Alice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.