The Reef Tank banner

Cleaning CPR Overflow?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave ESPI 
#1 ·
I have a CPR CS50 overflow. The air is sucked out by a MaxiJet 600 and works fine with one exception, I have algae building up inside the overflow part of the CPR that is starting to restrict the flow rate.

How do you clean this part of the CPR out? I have stuck a toothbrush down from both sides but don't know how to get into the part that goes over the edge of the tank>

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I clean hard to reach plastic parts with a mixture of 50% muriatic acid and 50% water. It works great. Just be very careful and rinse extremely well. Don't use it on anything that is not plastic though. Gloves are a must and use in a well ventilated area. This may be overkill for your needs. Have you tried straight vinegar?

Andrew

#3 ·
I have one of those new style CPR's too. I hate that worthless thing. You are right about it getting clogged and slowing the flow. There really isnt much you CAN do to clean it except maybe the vinegar or the mixture of 50% muriatic acid and 50% water. What irritates me is how often it has to be done, which is why overflows are nice but when your tank isnt drilled you are stuck.

To reach it somewhat.... I use some of those bendable bristle brushes. Make a U shape (lopsides U) slide it into the opening, turn and get the shorter side of the U under the edge and go back and forth.

Someone told me once that you can get long enough, and bendable enough brushes to get up in there. I have yet to find those.

#4 ·
When I used hang-on overflows I would remove them from a tank and put them in a 5 gal bucket filled with warm water and a cup or so of bleach. The bleach would kill the algae in no time. Let it soak for 10-15 min and rinse. One thing to remember, my overflow had a small check valve in the air vent line. I forgot to remove it once and the bleach ruined it, so if yours has one keep that in mind. Bob

#5 ·
I cleaned the powerhead I am using to suck the air out of the CPR and that has helped.
I used to think folks who complained about the CPRs were just whiners but I am starting to see the problems with this design. Someday the actual overflow part is going to have to be cleaned and the prospect of removing the whole unit (as opposed to just a U-tube) is not a good one.

G
#7 ·
Try getting one of those HAGEN cleaning brushes that look like pipette and Test tube cleaning brushes. they work well, or check home depot I believe they have them there too..Theyhave a long bendie wire handle and large round bristled head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.