The Reef Tank banner

can anyone tell me what is growing on my live rock?

17K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Tynan Rasmus 
#1 ·
it looks like i have a couple little brown plants growing on my live rock only about 1-2 cm. and also little white things even smaller that shrivel up if i pass my hand infront of the glass or inside the tank. i think i have green algae growing. its not a lot but there are a few strands of green stuff stuck to the rocks. what fish like green algae? i know green algae can be good because many organisms feed off it but can it get out of control? any side effects? thanks for any help

#14 ·
yea thats exactly what it is! what do they do other than look ugly? how can i get rid of them or what eats them?

also what are these stringy green things growing straight up from the rocks? a type of seaweed?

there is also this little white flowery plant growing. what's that? it closes up when it senses movement even when im outside the tank

#20 ·
mine looks lika a plant. like a tree limb with no leaves
u sure its not the same? did u checkout that pic thats posted a little higher up?

also i have little white, flowery-looking things not bigger than a centimeter, which are hard to get pics of, and they close up when they sense motion. what are they?

and i have green strings growing off the lr. whats that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.