The Reef Tank banner
56K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MontanaRocknReefer 
#1 ·
Looking for the best way to get rid of that ugle purple algae?
I have a bunch of snails(15), permint shrimp, blue legged hermits(6) and a brittle star in a 29 with about 20 lbs of live rock. Protein skimmer and alot of circulation
The stuff keeps coming back. I feed twice a day(to much???)
water changes every 2 weeks 5 gallons.
Let me guess 1 feeding every other day

#2 ·
Twice a day feedings are too much. I think you will find that most reefers feed every other day or even less...but there are exceptions. I would think that in a 29 gallon it would be even more so. I wou;d be willing to bet that your phosphate level is sky high. I would first check your phos. then get a phosphate remover and cut way back on the feeding. Flake food will raise your phophates even more. HTH

#3 ·
yep, I would say to cut back and feed every other day. I have started a mon, wed, and fri setup. I have 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite but my nitrate is off the charts. I was doing a 5g water change every month and that is not cutting it. I would suggest a reduced feeding schedule and up the water changes to 5g every week.

#8 ·
if its cyano it could take a lot more than cut back feedings. this stuff is indestructable.
how is your water flow? cyano will form in low circulated areas.

is your lights old? as lights get older they get into the red spectrum and can cause it to bloom

do you have a skimmer or do frequent water changes? a high level of undisolved organics will feed it. more water changes and skimming will get rid of a lot of them

how are your nitrates and phosphates? this is fuel for it also
some people say cut back on lighting it works temporarily as soom as the lights come on wammo its back. forget about anything to eat it nothing does. i had it covering everything in the tank and after adding pwr heads, upping water changes, adding a skimmer i have it in 2 spots now. frome where it was im actually happy to see those 2 spots. GOOD LUCK

#9 ·
I have one good power head in there that does a good job at cirulation along with that I have a hang on filter w/o carbon.
and a skimmer rated up to 125 gallon.
Tank is a 29 gallon. I have 2 55 watt PC lights are about 4 months old at the most.
I do a2 5 gallon water changes a month.
I had the power head a bit lower but it distributed the sand to much.. I started the tank in October? I will post the levels tomorrow when I do the next test. I had another power head in there at the opposite end but everything flew all over and the xenia what going nuts and the fish could not swim. Too much circulation. I will try to rearrange the power head.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.