The Reef Tank banner

anyone ever have issues with the seal on a velocity pump

755 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  afbengochea 
#1 ·
Was looking into a velocity pump and a local guy around me says hes had a terrible time with them. Hes been reefing for years and has had issues with the rear seal a bunch of times. These seals dont last more than a couple of months. I know that a lot of people recommend these pumps but was wondering if anyone ever had issues

#2 ·
there is only one seal on the Velocities. it is a normal O-ring around the volute. there is not a shaft on these at all. it is incorpratedinto the volute. i have never had a leak on one of these. they are actually rated up to 50psi of line pressure. that means you could plumb it into your house plumbing if wanted to!! not many pumps are capable of holding a seal at 50psi.

i have never replaced a seal on any of my 4 Velocities over the 3 years i have had them. i am also not super carefull about putting them back together after a cleaning session and have not had any leaks.

as long as there is an o-ring there it should not leak.

G~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.