orange spot file fish

Tags
sps corals
11K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr. Fishy Man 
#1 ·
does anyone know anything about this fish.Is it reef safe?help

#2 ·
I have never considered keeping one.

They are typical referred to as "hard to keep" and "leave them in the ocean".

Pretty known for eating polyps so definately not considered reef safe. However, if your colonies are large enough perhaps won't do enough damage to kill the coral. I personally would not be one to try.

If I'm not mistaken Stan "Energy" has one or has had one but then again not everyone has a tank as large as Stan to house a fish where corals are so large/mature that likely not cause too much damage.

#4 ·
Following up on what David said....

Stan's tank is 1700 gallons I think (yes, that is the correct number of zeros), with lots and lots of SPS corals, so his filefish can eat all the coral it wants and you would probably not be able to tell it had been eating them.

#7 · (Edited)
Reef safe!

These filefish usually rumored to only eat acro polyps, can also be trained to eat prepared frozen foods! HOWEVER it takes training and great devotion to do so! I'm trying this fish in the future, ask you lfs (if they have one) what they feed them there because, although fish stores usually give crappy advice, t's diet will probably continue in your aquarium. Also, they are safe with most cora;s but acros might be (or will be) harrassed. :fish: But don't only take my word for it, maybe other people might have important (and maybe depressing) bad news

#8 ·
I had an OSFF for almost 6 months, my wife loved it, it is actually what made me switch from fish only and evolve a reef. Once I realized how difficult they were to keep I bought live rock hoping it could find something to eat. Mine would not eat flake but would take Selcon soaked brine shrimp and Ocean Nutrition Angel formula. It apparently was not enough for it to thrive tho, sadly I lost it

#9 ·
I was told that these are impossible to keep, unless you are willing to feed them live acros.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.