The Reef Tank banner

Glass polishing?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  oyam123 
#1 ·
Any one know a local source for Cerium Oxide. I have some VERY LIGHT scratches that you can not feel. So I need to find some. I will be up in the cities one day this week. So I was hoping to find some up there.

Any help would be great. Phone #s would rock.

#4 ·
IMHO, don't bother with CeO polishing...

I used Cerium Oxide to polish out scratched in my tank, and I'd recommend using it on only the smallest scratches you really can't feel OR see - and then there's no point doing it. Cerium oxide might be great for industrial polishing, but you just can't do it very well on an aquarium. The tank MUST be empty, and I did mine on my deck, on it's side during the summer because it was such a mess/PITA.

I think I still have the remainder of my CeO in the garage I'd sell you if you are set on doing it. My honest first-hand experience, if you can't stand the scratches, buy another tank ;)

Here's my thoughts as taken from my reef journal:

July 3rd, 2005
The glass polishing begins! I picked out all the snails & crabs I could find on the LR and drained the water into 20g tubs I bought at Menards. I pulled the individual "clumps" of rockwork out and put them in their temp homes while I try to polish out the scratches in my tank.

I drained and the tanks water in the basement and siphoned/shopVac'ed out all remaining sand/gunk/water to move the tank. I was going to polish it in my garage but the weather was nice so I decided to do it on my deck instead. This ended up being a good move since the CeO slurry had a tenancy to spray every where while polishing. I used a 7" Chicago Electric sander/polisher I picked up at www.harborfreight.com for $25. At that price I didn't feel bad about any wetness or powder that may get into the polisher. I made a polishing pad out of some fake leather (vinyl actually) that I got at a fabric store. I cut a square and then used some flexible wire to "cinch Tie" the pad onto the rubber backer.

I polished for about 3 hours tonight after getting everything torn apart and concentrated on only about 1/3 of the front 48"x20" pane. After quitting for the night I did an inspection, and the results are mixed. It looks better, so I'm happy about that, but I was honestly hoping for much more. I'll do more tomorrow.

July 4th, 2005
I got up this morning and got back to the polishing. Polished on and off for about 4.5-5 hours today out on the deck. It was a beautiful day. After polishing, my deck looks like someone sneezed white slurry everywhere because the polisher sprayed it everywhere. I would DEFINITELY not recommend using the Cerium Oxide with a partially full tank. If you do try it with a partially full tank, I'd make your mixture much more of a paste and use a fabric bonnet to reduce the spray from the rotation of the polisher. I ran the polisher on a pretty low speed (1-2.25 out of 10) because it seemed to spray the slurry less at low speeds. I wanted to go faster, but it worked much better to stay on slower speeds. Today I had a much harder time keeping the slurry wet, but not watery. To dry and the mixture didn't lubricate the pad and it would grab the glass randomly/violently and that wasn't good. The wind was working against me and because it was so sunny, warm & windy, I had to constantly re-wet the surface with slurry to counter act evaporation.

When I finished, I got the deck mostly cleaned up, and moved the tank back to it's stand. I didn't have time to fill it with water and check out how the scratches look. I had to head out to go watch fireworks, so I guess it will wait until tomorrow.

July 5th, 2005
This evening after supper I worked on putting the liverock and crabs/snails back into the tank. Upon inspection with the T5's on, the polishing looks to be a moderate success. I naturally was hoping to get more scratches out but I knew in reality that many were too deep to remove with the Cerium Oxide alone. I'd say I'm happy that it's better, but bummed that it's still scratched. Before polishing the scratches were intolerable, but now they are at least livable. It still didn't stop me from looking around for a 90g tank online (which is the only larger tank that will really work with my arrangement).

#5 ·
As I stated you CAN NOT feel them. Also I just got the tank. Not to sound like a a!! but I did not ask for a should I or any thing like that. I do not mean to sound like a jerk either. Just letting you know. So please dont take offence. I'm verry well aware of what I'm getting in to. The tank is empty. It is a 125. I have also talket to my local glass shops. They all told me that that was the way to go.

I just traded my 75g setup for this. The guy was asking $150 for his tank and I was asking $200 for mine. So he asked if I just wanted to trade. I know it will be a lot of work and I'm prepared to do what it takes. Just not getting a nother tank. Unless it is free. I just can not afford a RR 125 at this time. That is why I traded also.

I am thankfull for your imput. But this is really my only option at this time. Some day I will buy a new tank. If you want to sell me yours that would be great. I can pm you my #. But will you be around tomorrow? I think that is when I'm comming up there. During the day.

Thanks

#6 ·
hey Speed I still have the new 125RR magaflow.
Id take $350 for it (i paid about $500 after tax and the 2 kits) or $225+the old tank back ($125 credit on the old tank).
Keep the stand and the 29Tall.
I only use the tank for the koi, so the scratches do bother me. I think I was clear about the scratches and sent photos.
We can also trade back....dont want you to feel bad about the deal (I know the feeling).

#7 ·
No I new about them. I'm just trying to see if I can get them out. That is the point I was trying to make. I want to see if I can get them out. If not I will talk to the other half and see about that tank. On the other hand I do like the idea. Let me see what I can do. Oh and no I dont feel bad. It would also give me a reson (spelling) to come back down and get Hardees BBQ :drool::icon_drool::yumyum:

Another thing is I have completely redone the stand allready. It is 7in shorter and you can fit a 4ft tank underneeth for a sump now. It is really nice. Just let me see what I can do with this first. It is kind of hard trying to get the other half to spend much money as of now. I'm out of a job, and looking.

On a side note. Once I set up the 125 I will also be selling a RR 90g with a Nice canopy and stand. The way I have the overflow set up it will handle 800-1000gph. I'm running around 900 as of now. Oh it is a corner overflow.

#8 ·
Chris, also keep in mind while you originated this thread, there are many including me that have never attempted to buff out scratches on a tank so BigRed post is valuable and I'm glad he posted regardless if you need to know or not. Plus will be valuable in future when someone searches.

Putting in close to 8 hours work into it with marginal results is definately something that should be said for those thinking of doing it.......

#10 ·
Yeah, I was kind of stuck too and had to use the tank (which I still have setup, BTW). I custom built my stand and had everything setup around this tank before realizing how many scratches it had. I thought more would be hidden once it filled with water (how I was wrong ).

As long as you know what you are in for.:) I'll find the CeO and how much I paid tonight & let you know.

#13 ·
No, I am stuck with the modern AGA stand and hood I got for it.
Id like to get $650 for the tank stand sump (30L) and hood thats only good for PC. T5 or VHO...its all black.
$350 is for the tank and 2 megaflow kits.
PM is best....selling tanks is not glass polishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.