The Reef Tank banner
3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Energy 
#1 ·
Anyone in the club know where in the citites you can get Dowflake or Peladow for making your own Calcium Supplement? I remember Derek might have made this at one time or still does, not sure? Any help would be appreciated....

Troy

#8 ·
jokester

Ha Ha,

You know me too well:) Actually I have to have Bob take a look at it quick. Was getting it setup when I got back from Hawaii and it might need a spot of glue yet. Little pinpoint leak. Also never hurts to have some 2 part sitting around when I have "troubles" getting it dialed in and can't keep my param's on target! I'm not real hot at reactor setups yet. Seems like I have been testing like a madman after my hydrometer episode.....

#12 ·
Tutmos said:
If you're in the metro and you don't mind picking it up in Edina I could sell you a few pounds of it for hrmmm free I guess. Let me know. It seemed to work out for Jive Turkey.
Do you just have some extra or a source?

#17 ·
Tutmos said:
Do you know if anyone has tested that Capco stuff for other ingredients? The reason people are using the Dowflakes is because the author of the paper tested dowflakes specifically.
No I don't. I found the Capco looking for something else one day and bookmarked it.

To be honest FWIW, for all the time and money a person puts in their tank, I just don't understand why people try saving a couple bucks and take a risk coming up with some of these home recipes. I can see using pickling lime since it is food grade and probably being somewhat controlled as far as contaminents. But a product used to melt ice could have anything in it... even if someone tested some once. A little more accountability in buying an actual reef product. :)

#20 ·
I agree 100% with reef sitter. We put so much money into these systems why compromise on something as important as a calcium supplement? It's great if it has been tested but where is the continual quality control? Are all batches manufactured under the same strict guidelines and free of contaminants? There have been so issues with southdown play sand and other so called "safe" non-aquarium products- whats the point of risking it? Especially with something designed to melt ice.

#22 ·
Kent Turbo Calcium is primarily anhydrous calcium chloride which if the Farley article is correct is the same/similar thing dow sells as their peladow (dried calcium chloride) product. Mixing turbo calcium in a larger batch makes quite a hot solution:) I have no doubt that the kent turbo calcium solution would melt ice! Fahz can you comment more on how you are using the recipe? You said a year with no problems, what sort of tanks are the Duluth guys using it on. Totally by itself or combined with something else/ reactor? I agree with Mark and Stan and don't want to use something that is rolling the dice and might be harmful for a system :( I agree with Derek that food grade baking arm and hammer wont be a problem, it's the calcium part of this recipe that's making me a little skeptical.

Thanks for your input,

Troy

#24 ·
stuckey_t said:
Kent Turbo Calcium is primarily anhydrous calcium chloride which if the Farley article is correct is the same/similar thing dow sells as their peladow (dried calcium chloride) product. Mixing turbo calcium in a larger batch makes quite a hot solution:) I have no doubt that the kent turbo calcium solution would melt ice! Fahz can you comment more on how you are using the recipe? You said a year with no problems, what sort of tanks are the Duluth guys using it on. Totally by itself or combined with something else/ reactor? I agree with Mark and Stan and don't want to use something that is rolling the dice and might be harmful for a system :( I agree with Derek that food grade baking arm and hammer wont be a problem, it's the calcium part of this recipe that's making me a little skeptical.

Thanks for your input,

Troy
By all means use Arm and Hammer baking soda for the alk part. I am using the two part on my 58 gallon Montipora, LPS, softie tank and have been for a year. I'm also using it on my 70 gallon loaded SPS tank along with my calcium reactor and dripping Kalk. Before that I used C-Balance two part and I see no difference other then I have more money in my pocket. Steve, Raven567 is also using it on his 220 and 75 SPS tanks with the same results. I was skeptical at first but seeing results have made that go away.

I keep hearing guys spout how pure some things are because there made for aquarium use what A croke. I just changed kalk powder and I can tell you all kalk powders are not the same.

Fahz

#25 ·
Fahz- I agree that all supplements are not the same. There is a certain "expecation" of quality with a marine grade aquarium supplement that is not even "assumed" with an ice melting compound. As with oceanic salt even though this expectation is in place it does not mean the consumers will not be dissapointed. My main concern with dowflakes is not with the chemical composition of the material but the added,unexpected, contaminants. Since the product is intended to melt snow and not as an intregal component of a marine aquarium the accidental addition of a copper or iron compound might not make a difference to the manufacter. It is great that it works for you and others, I just would hate to see anything happen to your system if an unknown compound was introduced with the dow flakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.