The Reef Tank banner

Dowflake- $34.00 shipped

9K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  David Grigor 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Probably nothing you need right now.

For 99% of reef tanks toping off with pickling lime mixed in your RO will give all the calcium your critters need.

But in some of these acro packed tanks the calcium demand is so high you have to either:
dose it with a "two-part"
or
use a calcium reactor

instead of baying the two part you can make it pretty easy. One part is the Dowflake (calcium chloride)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

#13 ·
that depends on your car ;) :beer:

im sure this has been asked before but is there any advantage at all of the dowflake over the PELADOW calcium chloride pellets ?

*EDIT*
ok NM , found out , only difference is it gets hotter and it is harder to tell how much to use because of inconsistency's of the remaining water in the pellets.

price also, i think the pellets are like $7per 3pounds

#26 ·
Unless you can talk your local Home depot into ordering you some it may be the only option. A 50lb. bag of magflake is going to last you probably 5 years so I wouldn't think that the $50.00 it costs with shipping is that big of a deal.

#30 ·
I plan on going to Dirks on Oct. 28th. If you don't get anyone to bring you some Dowflake before then, I could bring a few bags up with me. It cost $15 per 50 Lb bag. I don't think they have any 25 Lb bags in stock. A dontation frag would be nice in return.

#31 ·
I was at Walmart and noticed they had 20lb bags of the Prestone Driveway Heat for $7.83. Considering that you use 20% less per gallon of the pellet vs. the flake. 2 bags is virtually the same as 50lb bag of the flake so basically half the price since you don't need shipping.

It's also about the same price as driving to WI without spending the gas.

#32 ·
Thanks David! I've been using the prestone driveway heat in my 2-part and it has worked great. Growth has never been better.

If you use the Prestone here are the recipes.

for recipe #1 you use 2 cups Prestone per gallon for Ca.
2 1/4 cups baking soda per gallon for Alk.

for recipe #2 you use 1 cup Prestone per gallon for Ca.
1 1/8 cups baking soda per gallon for Alk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.