The Reef Tank banner
4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Darkfrog 
#1 ·
Looking to buy pickling lime. Live in Norcross, but don't know where to find it. Can anyone direct me?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 ·
It's my understanding that most grocery stores carry it in the canning section. Sometimes disguished under a different/brand name.

I have allways preferred to just spend the couple of extra bucks on kalkwasser powder. Then your positive that what you have is aquarium grade and a small jar for less than $10.00 would last almost a lifetime.

Any of our threes sponsor stores (Imagine Ocean, Fish Garden, or Marine Fish, Inc.) sells kalkwasser. Present membership card for 10% off.

Charles

#5 ·
Glad you posted this question --- I've been meaning to test for awhile now.

Rick --- You have seen the LR in my tank and the amount of color on it. As of last night the coral/frag count is 51.

DKH = 10
CA = 450

In order to maintain that I have to run that dual stage calc reactor full bore and 100% of my makeup water is kalkwater.

Don't know if that helped any but it did get me to test my water. :D

Charles

#7 ·
Rick O said:
I know Jerel doesn't have a reactor on his tank but he's dosing 8-10 tsp of turbo calcium per day.:eek:
WOW --- I can hear the money draining out of his pocket all the way down here in Macon :confused:

At that rate it would only take a year or two to make up the cost of a reactor.

When I started into this adventure I figured it was spend the money on the reactor now or be a slave to turbo calcium. I definatly made the right decision. I have always used turbo calc in the past, this is my first reactor. I will never have another reef w/out a reactor or MH for that matter.

As the TV infomercial says "set it and forget it" (nightmares left over form my operations)

And MyReef did an excellent job building me a small dual chamber reactor --- it's just the perfect size for a 58 gal :D

Charles

#14 ·
TimBeR said:
5 gallon turbo Ca by Kent 340.00

http://www.tropical-fish-supplies.com/turbo-calcium.html

bout the same as a Ca reactor without regulator and co2 bottle
Not exactly -- I got my reactor w/ a really nice regulator for basically $340.00 and came complete ready to go except the co2 bottle. I got the co2 bottle locally and was an extra $100.00

#15 ·
Ca

What is the difference between Seachem Reef Complete Ca and Kent Marine Turbo Ca? Should I be using turbo Ca or is the Seachem just as good?

#16 ·
For the record, I was at Kroger (the one that's about a half mile south of Brookhaven Station on Peachtree Rd.) tonight and noticed that they sell two different brands of pickling lime. Just FYI.

#17 ·
Rick O said:
For those of you that are using kalkwasser could you post what your dkh and ca are. I'm just curious, I'm having low ca issues in my frag tank.
I'm only dripping Kalk at this time, 1 1/2 - 2 gallons a day. Can't wait to see what that evaporation rate goes up to this summer. Rick I probably have close to the same amount of SPS at this point that you do, or at least as much as you had when I was at your house last month... lol Besides the Teal Acro and the cream/pink Stylaphora have you gotten anything else new?

Alk: 9.0 DKH
Calcium: 350

#18 · (Edited)
well i guess this means now that im doing SPS i need to start doing something else beside the ESV Bionic Calcium Buffer but just bought the last of my lights.................now running 2 Ushio 175s and 1 Ushio 250 with my PCs of 2 50/50 96watts.........so im ready to roll.....
So some suggestions guys ...............Ca reactor will have to wait.

#21 ·
Rick O said:
Oh yeah.;) Don don't you think you should bump your ca up?
Actually I'm hoping to get a Kalk reactor or possibly a calcium reactor one of these months.. :funny: Just need to find a month where there are no bills so I can afford it... :p

So are you going to answer my original question to you :rolleyes: or are you keeping secrets now?

#24 ·
Re: Ca

Joelb said:
What is the difference between Seachem Reef Complete Ca and Kent Marine Turbo Ca? Should I be using turbo Ca or is the Seachem just as good?
Better question, what's the difference between Kent's Turbo Calcium and Dow Chemical's CaCl?
There are a bunch of companies that have de-icer in the same grade as Kent's turbo calc for about $15 for a 20# bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.