Algae take over in tank - The Reef Tank

Go Back   The Reef Tank > Reef Club Forums > Atlanta Reef Club
Register

Old 05-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
ookami
squid

Algae take over in tank

Hello Everyone, I'm new here and new to the saltwater tanks. I'm currently fighting and algae out break that I just can't seem to get rid of. I have done everything I can think of: water changes, removing as much as I can by hand, turbo snails. Do yall know how to get ride of this?Since I can't post the image on here here is a link to it. jeremybrey.com/mine/tank.jpeg Thank you for all your help!
ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
ChiWing
Super Moderator

Welcome to TRT! Can you tell us a little about your tank? Size, parameters, water source, maintenance routine, stocking, feeding, lighting, flow?
ChiWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
ookami
squid

Hello ChiWing, Sorry for not providing that information in my first message. The tank is a 32 Gal tank, water source is red sea water from local fish store, I do a water change every two weeks but lately its been every week due to the algae, I feed once a day in the morning and just enough food that they eat, lighting is 24/7 with day time/night time lighting with each setting being 12 hours, flow is medium, Dimensions: 20.25" long X 21.875" Wide X 21.5" High. I have a BRS GFO reactor. I have a flame angel, six line wrasse, diamond goby, purple firefish goby, two clowns, two turbo snails, and a sea urchin. Please let me know if I need to provide any more information.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
ChiWing
Super Moderator

First thing is to check would be water. Sometimes an LFS can be slack in changing their filters since they go through so much water. If you can get just pure water from them check the TDS (TDS meters are pretty cheap on Amazon). I'd also cut back on the lighting (fish don't have eyelids so its nice to give them some time in complete dark) to about 12 hours total. Upping your water changes is always a good plan of action for an algae fight (as long as you're using good water). When you change water do you just remove water or do you siphon the sand and blow out the rocks as well?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
Wiskey
Just some guy, you know?

Facinating! Is that your own web server that you are hosting the image on? For future refrence you can use the IMG tag to post an image like this.

I'm messing this up so it doesn't really do it but it goes something like this:
[ img]http://jeremybrey.com/mine/tank.jpeg[/img] just remove the space between[ and i in the first bracket.
Here it is for real:

Anyway that is Cyano you are dealing with. Nothing I'm aware of actually eats it, it's not really an algae but more of a bacterial film. It usually goes away with tank stability but there are chemicals that can speed up the process like red slime remover but personally I attack it with high flow and tank stability. It seems to go away on it's own.

Also, you need darkness for the fish to rest, they don't have eyelids. It would be better for you to have 12 hours of lights on, then dim (bairly visable) moonlights at most for the other 12 hours, but you would be better off with total darkness.

Another tip, your fish load in that tank is pretty high. Do you have a skimmer or other means of nutrient export?

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #6
ookami
squid

Thank you for all your replies!

ChiWing: I have changed my light timer to now have the lights off for about 12 hours at night. Thank you for that suggestion. When I change the water, I also siphon the sand and use a net to remove as much of the Cyano as possible.

Wiskey: Thank you for posting the photo for me. When I first made the post I didn't have the permission to post the photo so I had to host it on my server. As suggested by ChiWing, I have change my lighting to now be off at night (12 hours). Also my Turbo Snails seems to eat it off the rocks and the glass. I just ordered a skimmer and will be getting it in the mail today, but I didn't have anything before. I will probably give the red slime remover a try to see if that will work for me. Else I am thinking of doing a 100% water change and removing all the sand and replacing it with new sand and cleaning the tank out real well.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
ChiWing
Super Moderator

Getting a skimmer should help with the cyano. Stronger flow can help too. How long has the tank been running? If under 6 months then it's normal to have cyano pop up - it usually goes away on its own after a few weeks with good maintenance.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
ookami
squid

Yeah the tank is less then 6 months old. And I have been fighting with it for about a month or two now it's just lately has been getting really out of control. I'll keep up with the maintenance and throw that skimmer in as soon as I get it. Thank you all for your help, yall have been the best!

Tags
algae , saltwater tank