The Reef Tank banner

250 Gallons Flooded on floor - help asap...seam broke on aquarium, need advice

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  georgiajams 
#1 ·
We bought a used 410 gallon aquarium a while back and one of the seams on the overflow just needed to be resealed. So, we bought it home and got it moved and obviously, when we moved it something came undone or something. We resiliconed the back overflow seam and let it cure with straps and everything on for 5 days. Earlier this week, we attached all plumbing and filled it up. We started it running today and this morning around 4 AM the pressure from the water broke one seam and another between the overflow and the glass. About 200 gallons of water went on the floor before we started shoveling it out the window in buckets. I don't know if there is a local fish store that would come and look at it and see if it's worth fixing, or if I should try to sell it and state the problems, or what to do. All the carpet has been taken up from the floor and the water has basically soaked into the wood like part underneath. It was only clean fresh water on there. Anyone have any advice? It's 3/4" thick glass with a double plated bottom.

#2 ·
I would think if the tank seams are intact and the problem is only w/ the overflow then it shouldn't be too big of a problem to fix. But I understand your reservations after that much water came gushing out.

If you try again install a durso standpipe --- that would limit the amount of water that could escape even if the entire seam of the overflow broke. That would also equalize the pressure between the inside of the overflow box and the inside of the tank so there wouldn't really be any stress on the overflow seams.

Get some big fans blowing the room air out the window and maybe also a dehumidifier.

Are you talking glass tank and acrylic overflow --- If so then silicone is not the correct sealant to use --- it really doesn't stick to acrylic properly. It will work on small applications but not large ones. If this is the case PM or e-mail me and we can discuss alternate sealants to bond acrylic to glass.

#3 ·
It has homemade Durso standpipes in the overflow.

Thank God the glass isn't cracked. The overflow boxes are black and plastic like, so I'm not sure if they're acrylic. The seam between the glass and the overflow, as well as the seam where the two pieces of glass meet in the corner, where the overflow is.

I would like to just pay a fish store or a fish servicing service to come out and fix it, but I would also like a guarantee that if it happens again after them resealing it that their insurance would pay for it.

I don't know which seam popped first, but both are shot. I can sit and see the gap in between the glass and overflow box, as well as the corner where the two glass pieces meet.

Any suggestions of who to contact? Also, any idea if a fish store came out that they would give me some kind of warranty on the actual siliconing of the tank, in case it breaks again?

We were planning to redo the floors anyway, so all the carpet had to come up.

I'm located near Athens. I want someone that knows their stuff and can do the job right. It'll have to be done onsite as the aquarium takes six to seven people to move, plus all doors and casings would have to be taken off again.

#5 ·
larsson said:

I would like to just pay a fish store or a fish servicing service to come out and fix it, but I would also like a guarantee that if it happens again after them resealing it that their insurance would pay for it.
I'm not sure a store would be willing to cover something like that, or that they have a policy that would cover something outside the store. You might consider talking to your agent that handles your homeowners policy and see if there is rider you can add for flooding from a fish tank.

#7 ·
I doubt you'll find anyone willing to fix and warant the fix but maybe. Sounds like this was a leveling problem. Maybe after all the water was added the floor moved out of level or maybe the stand --- just a thought.

Are you a serious DIY'er ???

If so always remember you have hundreds and hundreds of dollars of glass panes that make up that tank especially at 3/4" thick. If nothing else carefully cut all the pieces loose. Out of the front, back and two sides you could probably come up w/ a nice size tank. Cut and polish the edges yourself or take the panes to a glass shop for cutting and polishing. Then resilicone it together add nice stained corner molding and now you have an extra professional looking tank you built yourself.

It's really not that difficult --- my fist large reef was an 84 gal homemade tank out of 1/2" glass

#8 ·
Do you know who manufactured the tank originally? How old it is?

I have a manufacturer of glass aquariums that I deal with in the FL panhandle. I could call her and ask if she would reseal but if it's not her tank, I doubt that anyone would insure it -- I know I wouldn't. (No offence....) Only trouble is, if she's even willing to reseal it, you would have to get it to her factory in the Panhandle, and back again, as I'm sure it would cost quite a bit to have it picked up and returned (that is IF she'll do it -- big IF).

I'd wonder WHY it popped in the first place? Stand totally level, even support? Just FYI but a bit late - always a good idea to test these things outside on a level flat surface before bringing them indoors - saves a call to Servicemaster later :D

If you can tell me who manufactured it, I might be able to do some checking for you.

Cheers,
Jenn

#9 ·
I don't know which seam popped first,
My guess is the corner where the two glass panels meet popped first. The seal between the overflow and the glass is really just used as a gasket of sorts. It doesn't really hold much pressure. I've heard other stories of that sort of thing happening after a move.

Larsson, I can't answer your questions on who can fix it, but I feel really bad for you having to go through that. I've had about 30 gallons of freshly made RO water on the floor before and I thought that was a mess. Can't imagine 200. I rented a steam cleaner to get as much as I could off the carpet, then set up box fans to dry the rest.

At least it was only fresh water.... and no animals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.