The Reef Tank banner
3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MontanaRocknReefer 
#1 ·
My female maroon clown like to protect her tank by ramming my hand at full speed. She doesn't bite (yet) she just rams.

Well yesterday, she missed my hand came flying out of the tank and landed on the carpet about 4 feet down. I picked her up, put her back in the tank, and she was back at her anemone within about 4 seconds.

This is the 2nd time she's done this. The first time she landed on a stone tile floor (I really panicked that time).

Anyway, glad to report she's OK. Amazing :)

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior with a maroon clown?

#7 ·
Mine also fans the sand bed a lot. It seems like it some sort of nesting behavior; but I'm just guessing. To my knowledge, she's never laid eggs.

I call the female "Bertha." She needs an attitude adjustment. She is really growing fast too. I see a lot of "big" ones ending up at the LFS. You can tell they were returned becuase they got too big. I'm sort of attached and hope not to have to do this.

I'll be in a 75G within a few months. Hopefully, this will provide room for a few other fish besides her. We'll see...

#9 ·
Today at the LFS the female Maroon in their display tank BIT the store guy while he was removing some coral....he says sometimes she draws blood (yikes)!

I picked up a LTA today hoping that my tank raised percs would find a home. Right now the anemone is just floating around trying to find a happy spot. With my luck he'll anchor on the front glass - and then my clowns will never go near him!

#10 ·
I know it helps to turn off the power heads for about 1/2 an hour and place the anemone on a piece of LR to help it get a footing.

About the blood....I've since learned from the LFS that they've also got one that draws blood.

Luckily, mine hasn't figured out how to use her teeth on my hand yet. The male is so nice mannered compared to her...except that he sometimes nips my green star polyps. I told him that Maroon clown aren't supposed to do that but he isn't interested :)

#11 ·
You guys have any problems with the maroon fanning the DSB! My large female maroon did that alot and was taken back to the LFS and now is in somebody tank and probably doing the same thing!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.