The Reef Tank banner

Mail order livestock during the winter???

Tags
regal tang
3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rick O 
#1 ·
Ok,

As I have said before I am about to do a decent sized fish purchase online, just because the fish I'm getting are difficult to find around here at reasonable prices. The place I am seriously considering is Marine Depot Live, and while reading through their "Stay Alive" promise, I saw that they "Do not recommend ordering livestock if your outdoor temp is above 91F or below 37F". I'm like "Oh crap!", because I live in Michigan where it is a bit chilly during the winter months. Do these mail order places just not sell to 1/2 the USA in the winter months because I'm pretty sure most of the midwest and east coast are not above 37F. I sent off and email to see what they had to say but have yet to get a reply. I wonder if this is just a suggestion or if this voids their arrive alive promise. Oye!!!

#2 ·
Call the company and ask. Another thing you can do is arrange to pick up the order at Fed-Ex, rather than let it sit on a cold truck all day. That's what at least one MO place requires for cold-weather deliveries. (But then again, when my order arrived, it was so well-packed that the water temp was still very warm! More Kudos to Barry at Clams Direct!)

Good luck,
Danielle

#5 ·
Hey Paint,

Well, at least they were honest with you. And wouldn't you rather they be honest and screw up their winter business than lie and screw up (i.e. kill) your order?

I know, I had to wait for several weeks to get good weather for an order last year. Turns out that when I finally got good weather, they were also having a sale on the type of fish I wanted to order;)

Remember Rule #1 in this hobby - Be Patient.

Daryl

#8 ·
I have shopped locally already, but I am planning on hitting one more shop that is an hour away from me before trying the online order. I am just not impressed with the selection, the price, or the health of the fish locally and can't see ordering online being any worse off than what I get here. It is hard to believe I am the only person who is considering/has ordered fish online, but to be honest I have not had replys from many who have. I don't know, I guess I'm just an internet ordering kind of guy in general, which is why I thought, well shoot why not my fish. Is anyone else from Michigan here that could point me to better pet shops???

#9 ·
I have ordered fish online. And fortunately they all lived. However a regal tang was in poor shape when it arrived. The fish appeared dead in the bag and had ragged fins. I decided to acclimate the fish anyway. Well he was still breathing so I reluctantly put him in the tank. The fish lived but it was several days before it acted normally. That was two years ago and the fish is still with me.:) But the several days of worrying was not worth the money I saved.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.