The Reef Tank banner

Agressive Fish YAhooee!

6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Casey 
#1 ·
Got my first agressive fish for my new fowler.:)

#9 ·
Sweet!

Casey, I had a 110 FOWLR for years...I had the opposite colour pattern...dark navy blue with neon blue spots...had it for over 3 years...ate like a pig...just watch for getting splahed from surface water when he pilfers whatever you thrown into him...:p ...great hardy fish that you will surely enjoy...mine ate everything....:beer:

#11 ·
Oh, Casey! We used to have one! He was small and he grew a LOT and was ALWAYS so beautiful! Very shy. Always very shy, even though his mouth was huge.

I loved that fish!

Then, we aren't sure, but we think perhaps he backed into our lion. He was always swimming backward into caves in the rock. Anyhow, his tail turned brownish, then started sort of rotting off, but he would eat and swim, then he quit eating and quit swimming so much, and the brown rot-look crept up beyond his tailfin and into the end of his body. It took maybe a month? and he finally died. Very sad. We had him a long time -- couple yrs or so.

~ Shirley

#13 ·
Awesome specimen, I am going to live vicariously through you. Even though I love groupers - especially the lyretail - I will not have one again. They eat SO much food that it can become impossible to feed the other fish a fair share. Great filtration is a must.

I swear those things have the mouth of a lion, the belly of a puffer and the speed and agility of a damsel on steroids. But boy are they beautiful and VERY intelligent.

Rambling is over now...:eek:
bb

#14 ·
Thanks Guys. Shirley hope I have good luck with him I can tell he is real agressive and you know I have to get a lion fish to,I love yours to much to not have one,sorry to hear about your loss,hopefully mine will keep his booty out of my lions face,well
I have to wait anyway for the tank to actually arrive :D

#15 ·
beach bum said:

I swear those things have the mouth of a lion, the belly of a puffer and the speed and agility of a damsel on steroids. But boy are they beautiful and VERY intelligent.

Rambling is over now...:eek:
bb
What BB said is SO True! :D

Casey, I can't say for sure, but I think the spines got him accidentally. He was never aggressive toward our other fish -- he was a real favorite and we got him small for only $24 and we found him at PA back when they used to carry more fish. He was probably in the $100 size range when he "fell apart" and died.

Yes, I'm sure he and the Orbic Batfish contributed to the high nitrates in that tank. The batfish grew so huge he was moved to a Shower stall-turned-into-a-fishtank at Inland Aquatics. The grouper was quite a splasher at feeding time -- kinda like the whale show with his tail slapping the water.

He dug quite a nice hole in the sand under the rockwork and lived in his private cave.

~ Shirley:)

#19 ·
They do. Ours was a tiny leaf-looking thing blowing around in the tank...a real ich magnet, but survived several ich events...then GREW to about 10" tall in a year!!! Oh, and he made huge messes after digesting his enormous amounts of food - he'd eat anything and just suck in whole pieces of sea veggies. I swear it'd be coming out one end as it went in the other.

~ Shirley

#20 ·
ShirleyM said:
They do. Ours was a tiny leaf-looking thing blowing around in the tank...a real ich magnet, but survived several ich events...then GREW to about 10" tall in a year!!! Oh, and he made huge messes after digesting his enormous amounts of food - he'd eat anything and just suck in whole pieces of sea veggies. I swear it'd be coming out one end as it went in the other.

~ Shirley
:funny: :funny: :funny: I think I will pass on one then :) thanks

#21 ·
Nce Grouper Casey!
ditto what everyone else said,,,
make sure you offer a cave/hidng place for it in the 180,it'll feel better with one
ps: slowwwwly (as for the wife not to notice,LOL) a spot in the freezer for the extra food you'll be needing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.