The Reef Tank banner

Adhesive and Sealant

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NewReefer 
#1 ·
If I did decide to make my own tank, what do I use to "glue" it together?

I am guessing and I have been told to use 100% silicone to seal it but what do I use to glue the pieces of glass together?

#3 ·
The silicone is the adhesive and the sealant. Trying to build a large tank isn't the best way to learn. Prolly the cheapest big tank is the plywood type with glass face as shown on the G**F site. but even then the thick glass costs like the dickens, and thick plywood isnt cheap. Epoxy is toxic till it cures, so using it to seal is no picnic :(

#4 ·
i like mike's (mojoreef) idea of using plywood and glass. instead of epoxy paint. just use the thick plywood to build the sides bottom and back, and then thick glass for the front. then "line" the back sides and bottom with thin 1/8" glass, since the plywood is actually the support. then silicone it all together (and screws of course for the wood.)

i've never seen it done, but i am going to give it a try for building aa bigger sump under my tank. if it works, then i'm gonna give my shot at 130+ gallon tank.....in the future :)

#5 ·
When I tore down my 30g, I decided to wash it out, well slips happen and we will just say the bottom ended up with a thick crack. I made a frame to slide the pieces together and went to the LGS(local glass shop) and they cut me a piece out for 15$.
I was told to use pure silicone II and it worked out easier than expected. ONE thing, most people don't tell you! When doing this be prepared to do it fast and look out for the fumes! If you can get a mask I'd highly recommend it, even if you are outside as I was. With a little planning it worked out great. I had the same people cut me some acrylic dividers and silicone them into place, when doing this make sure to have a very clean surface, despite what they say, for dividers it does hold up strong enough. I'd never use silicon for acrylic otherwise. Experiment small then work your way up, maybe in this case make your sump first.

Just a thought guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.