The Reef Tank banner
10K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Reefdude5 
#1 ·
Probably a lot more than you think. ;)

#28 ·
Heh :D

Fooled you.

Both systems are designed to fix what you're able to test for - nitrates. In case you guys weren't around for this, nitrates were (and still are in some literature) blamed on causing hair algae, cyano, corals not growing, etc.

Nitrates are associated with high organics, and high organics mean high organic phosphates.

DSB's were promoted as fixing nitrate problems, also. And, was also promoted as "leave that detritus in there".

Either way, both were promoted as a quick fix. "You too can have a reef tank and not clean it." Both have large habitat for bacteria, and both allow 'customers' to make more mistakes and have those mistakes covered by habitat for bacteria.

For some reason, no one wants to clean their tanks. ;)

#29 ·
So we should all have not much LR and by starboard from you? hahahahaha!!!!!! :D

#30 ·
Well there you go, all of us scratching our heads and looking in our old books for the answer to no avail. I'm beginning to think that most "cures" for reef tanks are centered around $$. Got algae, give me some $. Got cyano, that'll be extra $. Sounds like we should go back to the K.I.S.S. method. To me that would be the Berlin method with a lot more circulation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.