The Reef Tank banner

Bubble Tip Anemone Looks Sick (Pictures)

37K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  david_47 
#1 ·
Hello , everyone. i have green bta. For an about a week it looks very strange.
Some of it tentacles deflated and sort of has holes on its tips, or perhaps tips sucked within itself...
It eats well, doesn't move. Water parameters are good.

Need Help to know if it is ok ...

See less See more
#2 ·
Anything bother it, like a hermit crab or other? It doesn't look like its dying, just closed up a bit. It may be fine and just ingesting what you fed it. Obviously keep an eye on it.

I have a hermit that crawls over my Zoas all the time and they close up but come back shortly afterwards.

Here's the target params from Liveaquaria -
Lighting: Moderate to High
Waterflow: Medium
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025

One last question, and don't take this wrong, but how long has your tank been established before you acquired the BT? Anemones are not easy to keep. That one rock to the right seems to indicate this is a newer build (no algae).

#9 ·
Any corals in the tank ? Just curious but it looks like its burnt. As if something came in contact with it. Will it eat or is it eating since this condition started ? When is the last time you did a water change ? If or when you did the water change (s) are you allowing your salt mix to thoroughly dissolve into the water and allowing it to mix for a full night etc ? I only ask because Ive seen salt burn them.

If it isnt either of the 2 above scenarios it looks hungry... Do you dose any trace elements or just rely on salt mix ? Remember nems need trace elements, light and food.. How or what do you feed it and how often?

How are the lights ? What kind LED or CF ? Are they getting old ?
Sorry for all the questions =D

#10 ·
I'd have to say lighting may be the issue. It looks a little retracted, which could be from too much (sun burnt), but it isn't bleaching....or too little light. What kind of lighting are you using? From the pictures it doesn't appear you are running actinics, but you may have turned them off to take pictures? Give some info on the lighting, type, how many hours per day are you running them?

Also what's your salinity at? What type of water are you using?

#11 ·
Chances are that it would have moved if it was terribly unhappy. As Kpd asked, what is your lighting light? What are your water parameters? What are the other inhabitants in the tank? Have you made any additions recently? What other corals is it near?

#12 ·
Nope, this tank does not have corals yet. It has to ocellaris clownfish, fire shrimp, 2 sissortail gobies and snails, like Turbo, conch and bee, and little condy anemone...
LED lighting runs up to 10 hours for all this time since I have the anemone. Water changes are made each week. The tank is passing from marina to reef step by step. Anemone eats well in this state either. When the lighting were increased it didn't show any change, except of tentacles that are normal, the stretch and become not bubbled. And no additions have been made lately. and anemone food is frozen shrimp or liquid coral food 2-3 times a week

#14 ·
The tank is passing from marina to reef step by step. Anemone eats well in this state either. When the lighting were increased it didn't show any change, except of tentacles that are normal, the stretch and become not bubbled.
Yeah its starting to look more like a lighting issue... Perhaps not getting enough of a certain spectrum...

Water Changes... How big 5% , 10% , 20% etc ??

I gotta be honest here though... The feeding sounds a little excessive though... Nems in the wild survive on scraps most of the time... So they can and will thrive on what your fish dont eat and what is turned in snow by the power heads.

Given the frequency of feeding it could be causing water chemistry issues.

IMHO it sounds like you are over feeding and causing swings in the water chemistry... That or lights... Perhaps a culmination of both. Hows the water smell ? Does it have a fish smell / Low tide Beach smell or does it smell nice and fresh ?

#15 ·
sound to me like it needs time to digest... are the clowns hosting in it? I agree with the "it looks burnt" comment above. If the "healthy" tentacles stretch out then it may be happy especially if it hasnt moved... and so the funny ugly parts are some sort of injury. perhaps t will heal over time, but check on it at different hours of the day and night to see if anything is messing with it.

#27 ·
is my bta sick?

I've had this Bta anemone for almost 3 months and I'm not quite sure if it's sick or not. It moved around that live rock and wasn't receiving light for about a week or 2 until it moved back to the light. It seemed to do well when it wasn't receiving light but once it moved to the light it started to look like this. It is closed and and looks like flesh is dissolving but ammonia levels are very good

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.