The Reef Tank banner
785 views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  dbelshe 
#1 ·
Has anyone found pickling lime at any major grocery stores etc? Ive looked at a few places (albertsons, WINCO Fred Meyer etc) but havnt been able to find it.

Anyone know of a place? Preferably somewhere near Tigard.

#10 ·
It's a seasonal item, and right now is just the start of the season. I got some at Walmart late last year, and didn't buy quite enough. It hadn't shown up last time I checked around - although I didn't check Bimart. Good idea.

#12 ·
I had been looking for it all over for months and was never able to find it. Well recently i hit the jackpot. I found a cooking specialty store in Albany that sells it and I found multiple Wal-marts do carry it. You have to go to the canning section that is setup seasonally near all the cooking utensils. I bought like 15 1lb cans of Ball's Pickling Lime for $1.49 each. Going to stock up as much as i can since its a summer season thing and wont be able to get it out of season. I heard Bi-mart does carry it but none in my area since they havent gotten their canning supplies in until later this summer. Best bet is to check out Wal-mart. If you want me to go to my area Wal-marts, and clear them out, i can do that and then meet up with people at the July BBQ and trade for frags or just sell them for what i bought them for... Let me know. I do have some extra right now as I bought 15 cans. Let me know if i can do anything for you. As for the Lime Hydrate from Home Depot, I wouldnt use it since it can have lots of impurities in it. At least that is what i have heard. Pickling Lime is FOOD GRADE so it has less impurities in it since it is FDA regulated. Makes sense to use Food Grade rather than Agricultural grade for sticking in your reef tank. Anyways, on another note at what concentration is everyone adding it to your tank, Kent Kalkwasser mix says to mix at 1/8 tsp min to 2 tsps max per gallon of water. I am using Pick. Lime for all my topoff water that evaporates. I have a 25 gal rubbermaid jug that i mix my lime water in and then drop a pump in there attached to a float switch that slowly adds the lime water into my sump as water evaporates. I have been using about 1tsp/gal. What has everyone else been mixing at? How have things been working out at higher or lower mixes?

#13 ·
Ok dudes, this is what I've found out. Lessee couldn't find 'pickling lime'. Last year WalMart carried it - now they caryy 'Pickling Salt' !?!?! Looked and looked in Salem. Pickling Salt, Pickling Salt, Pickling Salt.

So I bought a 50 lbs bag of "technical grade" calcium hydroxide. Well turns out that the corals didn't think too much of it. (See the 'Local Online' thread). I paid $30 bucks for it (10 for the bag and 20 for shipping). Anyone want to buy 49 pounds 10 oz of technical grade calcium hydroxide?

So now come to find out that Ball's has replaced it's old pickling lime with this new pickling salt. And ... you guessed it. Everyone carries Ball's canning stuff. Mrs Wages still makes pickling lime, but I'm not sure who carries it locally.

#14 ·
i have seen it in Salem's Wal-marts. That is where i got alot of the cans that i bought. as for corals not thinking too much of it? i hjave bneen seeing lots of new growth in my tank since i started using my current pickling lime topoff routine. Things seem to have just taken off. small frags have tripled in size in the just a couple short months. I have seen this pickling salt you speak of... however they still carry the pickling lime too...

#20 ·
Why not just save the Gas from all this running around and buy it from the website that I posted... Its Mrs Wages Pickling Lime straight from the Mfg... Only Like 1.85 per bag plus a small amount for s/h.. Its easier.. I looked 2 places and then bought online as my time was more Valuable... Why not do a group order and order up like 20 or 25 bags and you all split the cost.. It will be cheaper than finding it in the store..

James

#24 ·
Deevee8ed said:
um... no response?
Yes, I'd given up hope. But just now got a response.

Thank you for contacting Precision Foods, Inc.

We expect to have lime in stock and ready to ship by Monday, August 9.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Given that I was going to buy a case or two at Walmart: I wonder how much is going to picklers and how much to reef keepers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.