The Reef Tank banner

Sandsifting starfish

Tags
starfish
3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  connorp 
#1 ·
I'm keen to get a sandsifting starfish for my 50 gallon reef tank but I have heard they are very difficult to keep. I have a weekly subscription of rotifer and copepods for a scooter dragonette and future mandarin I am looking to keep as well as a separate tank harvesting some more. I was wondering what else I would need to feed a sssf in order for it to thrive in my tank?

#2 ·
I have kept one in my 90 for 14 months now. He seems to be doing well but I also get worried about possible lack of food. I have recently started injecting a small amount of mysis into the sandbed about every 2-3 weeks after reading they do eat meaty foods to some degree. It is a fine balance as a don't want a lot of nutrients to promote algae issues. Keep a good sandbed for it (1 1/2 to 2 inches imo) to give it something to play/eat in. Others will hopefully chime in with other ideas/suggestions.

#3 ·
They will eat all microorganisms in the sand bed, bury in it, die, and decay. They last no more than two years. Injecting mysis in your sand bed is just asking for a huge nutrient problem unless you have witnessed it eating the mysis, and even then it probably won't eat enough to survive. They are not beneficial at all.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. In my case, the natural filtration is through the live rock and not the sand so i am not too concerned about the star decimating my population from that point of view. My concern would be whether or not I could sustain it on food in the tank. I add the following at present:
Copepods twice a week.
Rotifers once every ten days.
5 species of phytoplanton once per month.

I am also harvesting my own pods in two separate tanks in order to eventually cancel my expensive subscription and be self sufficient!

Would this be enough to keep a sand sifting star fish, mandarin dragonette, and a scooter dragonette happy? Is there any algae I can add or supplement the tank for a star? Or are they a definite no go in a tank?

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies. In my case, the natural filtration is through the live rock and not the sand so i am not too concerned about the star decimating my population from that point of view. My concern would be whether or not I could sustain it on food in the tank. I add the following at present:
Copepods twice a week.
Rotifers once every ten days.
5 species of phytoplanton once per month.

I am also harvesting my own pods in two separate tanks in order to eventually cancel my expensive subscription and be self sufficient!

Would this be enough to keep a sand sifting star fish, mandarin dragonette, and a scooter dragonette happy? Is there any algae I can add or supplement the tank for a star? Or are they a definite no go in a tank?
None of the above live in the sand. The starfish will not come out from under the sand unless it is starving. So no. There are much better starfish I could recommend if you would like.

#8 ·
As far as mine is concerned, I did not get the best advise from a lfs. It was purchased along with an ocellaris clown pair and they were the first livestock added to the tank. Had I researched it as I do every addition now, I would have passed on it. If I could find a good home for it, I would. Even though your rock is doing the bulk of your biological filtration, healthy bacteria populations in your sandbed will make for a healthier and more stable system.

#10 ·
Wait, i thought starfish were supposed to help the sand bed, not make it worse. Am i missing something here?

I have had a SS for almost 2 years and i dont feed it anything. He is obviously eating something to be alive this long, but i dont know what. He seems fine, sits around a lot though.

#12 ·
My tank is 120 gallons with a 30 gallon sump. I dont dose anything. I sometimes add phytoplankton, but not recently because of excess algae growth. I just feed my fish and thats it. Nothing else added. The sand is older so it may have a few things for him to munch on. Going to replace about 40lb of sand tomorrow. Hopefully it wont have a negitive affect on him.

#15 ·
Asterias forbesi
Echinaster echinophorus

Both are reef safe. The former is usually found online only, but very cheap and easy to find. The second is occasionally found in stores, but is too very cheap and easy to find online. Only thing they MIGHT eat is any bivalves. Both stay so small I doubt they could pry open anything over 1", but mine like eating leftovers of clams opened by the chocolate chip starfish.

Both will eat most meaty foods, though I find the former to be more picky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.