The Reef Tank banner

Upside Down Jellyfish

232 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  fishhyren 
#1 ·
Okay, so Nick has wanted a jellyfish tank for forever, but the cheapest Kreisel tank that I can find is just over $1,000. I won't be able to afford that and all of the equipment, jellyfish, etc. by Christmastime, so I started looking into possible "alternatives."

I was on Reef Scavangers and saw that they sell Upside Down Jellyfish and that these guys don't require the special rounded tank that the Moon Jellies and other Jellies do. I was thinking of building him a jellyfish tank for Christmas - maybe 30 gallons or so - and surprising him with it. Obviously, between now and December, I'd be collecting all the info I could, as well as all equipment needed, etc.

I would like your opinions, though, on these jellyfish before I get my hopes up. Would you recommend that I go through with this plan, or would it just be best to save for the Kreisel?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies! :thumbup:

#2 · (Edited)
Cassiopeia are everywhere down in the Keys. My students did a workshop with them watching their reaction to various subtle environmental changes (temperature, salinity, etc.). They pulse at different intervals based on these changes. They are pretty cool. I wasn't aware that they were being sold for the aquarium trade. We saw some pretty big ones. I would say atleast 6-8 inches.
Good luck with the research.

#6 ·
According to myth, Casseiopeia was very boastful, claiming to be more beautiful than the sea gods. She was chained to her throne and placed in the sky to circle the North star, at times hanging upside down. Thus the name casseiopeia for the upside down jellyfish.

#8 ·
According to myth, Casseiopeia was very boastful, claiming to be more beautiful than the sea gods. She was chained to her throne and placed in the sky to circle the North star, at times hanging upside down. Thus the name casseiopeia for the upside down jellyfish.
You're soooooo smart, Jenny!!! Now pick the lotto numbers so I can retire! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.