The Reef Tank banner

Lighting for SPS

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  chrisfrat 
#1 ·
I know this is more of a lighting question, but its for SPS.

I currently have an Orphek PR-156 on a 90 gallon tank, about a foot above the water level. I know its short on the 90. here is its light spectrum

Is this too much too grow SPS? Its about 8000 lumens, and I've killed 2 montipora with them. some softies right now are starting to show a little life.

or... I've been looking at this website http://www.buildmyled.com/custom-led-strip/

can you help me customize some lights that will be good for everything? you can get a dimmer for it, so I'd rather it be too strong than just strong enough.

See less See more
#3 ·
lumen dont matter... lumen in short is just apparent brightness, you want to focus on PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) and that light has high PAR. what could be happening is it has too much PAR and is burning the corals, if you dont want a dimmer just start the coral off at the bottom and slowly move them up

#6 ·
Not sure if you have seen the group buy thread for Evergrow lights on here. Evergrow is the Chinese manufacturer. They are sold in the US by Reefbreeders. I have the 32 inch fixture. I believe it is about $400 retail. I'm loving it so far! Corals are already showing improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.