Help me pleaseee - The Reef Tank

Go Back   The Reef Tank > Reef Club Forums > Central Illinois Marine Aquarists (CIMA)
Register

Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Jeimy
squid

Help me pleaseee

I need to know what's wrong with my tank ? I changed 60 percent of my water yesterday and I rinsed the filter with salt water and I added some dragon mandarin copepods the day before yesterday but idk what's wrong with my tank I need help please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1472499298240.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	135137  
Jeimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
ChiWing
Super Moderator

Can you tell us a little about your tank? How long it's been running? How it was cycled? What livestock you have and when they were added? It looks like a bacterial bloom, which can happen if you stock too fast - the bacteria multiplies rapidly to catch up to the load. Are you testing?
ChiWing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Jeimy
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWing View Post
Can you tell us a little about your tank? How long it's been running? How it was cycled? What livestock you have and when they were added? It looks like a bacterial bloom, which can happen if you stock too fast - the bacteria multiplies rapidly to catch up to the load. Are you testing?
My tank it 14 gallons it's has been running mate for about a month and a couple of days I just put bacteria in it and let the sand settle for about a week and I put in a marron clown fish I have a pijama cardinal, a royal gramma and a dragon goby mandarin. I have about 5 live rocks in there and little small coral I put in two days ago and yes I'm testing everything's fine

Old 08-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
ChiWing
Super Moderator

That's a big load for a new tank, and a small tank - even one of those fish shouldn't be in a tank that size, let alone all four. That maroon will likely end up killing everything, as they get extremely territorial. She will claim everything in a 14g tank as hers. And a mandarin will quickly starve in a new, small tank. It can eat what's in one of those bottles of pods in about a day. If your LFS told you all of those fish would be fine in that tank then you need to find a new store - they're wasting your money and those fishes lives.

As far as the bacterial bloom goes, there's not much to do but let it run it's course.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Jeimy
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWing View Post
That's a big load for a new tank, and a small tank - even one of those fish shouldn't be in a tank that size, let alone all four. That maroon will likely end up killing everything, as they get extremely territorial. She will claim everything in a 14g tank as hers. And a mandarin will quickly starve in a new, small tank. It can eat what's in one of those bottles of pods in about a day. If your LFS told you all of those fish would be fine in that tank then you need to find a new store - they're wasting your money and those fishes lives.

As far as the bacterial bloom goes, there's not much to do but let it run it's course.
They've been in there for a month btw no one has killed anyone so... I don't think there gonna kill each other now as for the mandarin it's eating and it's been eating for a month so it's fine and everything's fine all of them in there are fine and it's been a month
Old 08-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
ChiWing
Super Moderator

A tank is pretty much still brand new at a month. Having something live a month that's lifespan is 30+ years isn't a sucess or mean that everything is fine.

The maroon will get more aggressive as it grows. And a mandarin can take up to two to three months to starve to death - it's a slow and horrible death. I'm sorry, I know it feels like I'm dumping bad news on you but it needs to be said so you'll know your LFS or whoever is advising you on your tank is steering your wrong.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
jerryclunsford
Shark

I take it you used the "INSTANT CYCLE BACTERIA IN BOTTLE" stuff.
Some works ok some is not worth it's weight in water.
Before buying livestock you need to research what it takes to keep them alive.
Your LFS (local fish store) is not the best place to get this information.
Many employees are not trained well and many don't care as long as they can sell something.
http://www.liveaquaria.com is a good place to get this kind of information.
They also have a compatibility chart that tell what will get along with what.

As Chi said a month is really nothing to a marine tank most of us take longer than that getting a tank ready to put water in and again longer than a month to cycle it properly so that there are bacteria to de-toxify the water.
Once the tank is ready, filled, cycled, we only add one fish at a time and wait 2 to 3 weeks before adding another so the biological filter can adjust to the bio-load.

Many fish eat only one type of food and a LOT of it, Mandarins are generally one of these. They usually only do well in large tanks with lots of live rock and LOTS of pods.
I have a 65 gallon tank and in marine tank size it is not considered large.

There are many fish that will not do well unless they have a lot of room.
There are fish that are very territorial, and fight to the death to defend their territory, even against larger fish.
If you do research on the livestock you want and are patient you will have more success and have less livestock die on you.
jerryclunsford is offline   Reply With Quote