The Reef Tank banner

I'm so new, and in love!

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fishluv 
#1 ·
Hi, all, I'm from Lexington. I just set up my very first salty, a 2.5 pico, about 2.5 weeks ago (the ammonia went to 0 fast, and nitro levels are going for great, the rock was from an established tank). I know it seems like I took a lot on as a first timer, but I've literally been keeping aquaria (fresh) since before I was born, lol, my mom LOVED fish tanks, and so do I. I currently have a 10g fresh tropical, a 10g fresh coldwater, a fry tank (3 gal) and a betta tank (2 gal). I can't really go much larger because I live in an apartment, and I'm nearing "gallons limit" as it is, haha. Anyway, since my first visit to an aquarium I've been fantasizing about being a marine aquarist, and I have now started one up. It's so great. I have a 10g filter going inside it, so it has plenty of filtration, 3 pounds or so of live rock, 3 pounds of live sand, lots of red coraline algae, some tiny feather dusters, a lovely pink kenya tree (my baby) and several aiptasia anemone. I am letting them stay around as long as they don't threaten my kenya, in fact, I've killed about 4 of them who WERE threatening it with lime juice injections. Also, what came with my liverock was some tiny little snail I have no idea what it is, and two small 6 legged star fish. I just bought 3 small hermit crabs, 2 dwarf blue legs and a scarlet reef. When I bought the rock, it had an infestation of red slime algae, but i've suctioned most of it away, it's still creeping around on the sand, though, hence the crabs. I am satisfied with it the way it is and don't know if I need to add a fish or anything, if anything i'd add some more crabs if they'd fit, I really am completely in love with this tank, it's so amazing to watch all day, it sits right here on my desk....

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats! Once you get the tank a little more established I would look at adding a goby or maybe even a goby & pistol shrimp pair. The pistol could be problematic with the crabs but I've had no problem with them getting along in a 46. Very neat to watch their symbiotic relationship.

#5 ·
I used to live in lexington and thats where I got started. You have several options for pet stores, but if you want a good one. Go to the Incredipet on Richmond Rd. and ask for Penny, tell her that Brandon from wisconsin sent you. She'll help you with whatever you need (special orders, advice, etc.). Try to avoid MVP (Most Valuable pets), he is way over priced and gets his stuff from the same distributor as incredipet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.