The Reef Tank banner
18K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  squid 
#1 ·
I was thinking of buying a coral banded shrimp to try to get our bristleworm population down to a manageable number, but that tank is a 45g & has 2 yellow & 2 green clown gobies and a bi-color blenny. I've not yet talked to anyone that says the CBShrimp is actually mean or aggressive, but I've not spoken to anyone who wants to say he's not either. I did search the archives here & see several posts about the CBS being very agressive to other shimp, but we don't have any other shrimp right now. Does anyone have personal experience with a CBShrimp w/such small fish as the clown gobies? I would probably only keep the CBS long enough to do some cleanup, but I really don't want to risk him hurting my gobies...I love those fish!..SO cute!

G
#2 ·
the cbs will look as if hes being agressive but watch him hell end up running with his claws between his legs.....they are all talk andno walk
oh and in my 55 i have a cbs, 3 peperment shrimp a cleanershrimp a pistol shrimp and a blood shrimp...i also have a yellow watchmans golbie..... dont worry the only way hell eat a fish is if it dies of natural causes

#3 ·
I had a cbs and he tore the fins of my fish, i sat there and watched him do it. he also clipped tasty snacks from my feather duster worm's crown. when my four stripe damsel was fine one night and gone the next, I got rid of the cbs. coincidence? maybe, but maybe not...

#4 ·
Before adding my CB Banded Coral Shrimp, I used to have 5 Pepermint Shrimp! I used to have 6 Blue-Green Chromis....I am down to 5 now and have no other shrimp. He now resides in my Mangrove refugium. The next time I cook Stir-Fry....its liable to be Shrimp Stir-Fry!

Maybe I got a "bad one" but that has been my experience. They look really cool though. I wont buy another one.

#5 ·
Hey Imaexpat, how long was your tank up? and how big was the CB shrimp? Is there a possibility you have a pretator in the tank and you haven't seen him yet?

Reason for my question, I have had many customers whom have had CB shrimp with no problems at all. UNTIL the shrimp got very large and wasn't getting enough food at feeding time.

This may not hold true in your situtation, depends of you have noticed anything else missing since sending the shrimp to the refugium.

#6 ·
Imaexpat2 said:
Before adding my CB Banded Coral Shrimp, I used to have 5 Pepermint Shrimp! I used to have 6 Blue-Green Chromis....I am down to 5 now and have no other shrimp. He now resides in my Mangrove refugium. The next time I cook Stir-Fry....its liable to be Shrimp Stir-Fry!

Maybe I got a "bad one" but that has been my experience. They look really cool though. I wont buy another one.
i agree with you, i too have a cbs and i think it killed some of my fish as well. a camel shrimp and about a half dozen other fish including chromis have came up missing. the ones that werent mia i saw him eating them :mad:

#7 ·
I think they are like anything else reef related. Whether they are reef safe is dependant on many factors. Size of tank, population and most of all, personality of each animal.

We have had several CBS. Never had them get anything that I know of. We started with a 55g then to a 100g to a 135g to a 240g and now a 336g. If you keep them fed, they will have no need to grab your critters. We dropped those dry shrimp pellets for the shrimp, stars and other things to eat.

We have pepps, camel backs, chromis and all the other guys listed above. And if they die, your CBS will be right there to clean up!

Just what we have experienced!

Good luck,

Chris

#8 · (Edited)
Good idea there squid. I considered that. I cant imagine what though. I have no bristle worms, the only mantis shrimp I had was removed when my rock(45# of Kaelini) was added to the system. My Live sand is all Indo-Pacific from Carib-Sea. Other than various Acros and a couple of Soft corals inhabitants are Dwarf Blue leg Hermits, Bumble Bee Snails, 5 Blue Green Chromis and 1 Yellow Tang (4") and about 120# of Lace Rock (now heavily coated in Coralline Algae). Didnt loose anything until the Banded Shrimp was added. I relegated him to the Refugium and havent had a problem since. Any Ideas what my preditor is if it aint the Coral Banded Shrimp?

#9 ·
Yeah he is kinda on the Large side compared to what the LFS has. I have fed him the little Crab Pellets too just to make sure everyone got some scooby snacks.

I know that there are good and bad of every critter you add. Maybe I got the one that was the exception to the reef safe rule or community tank safe rule....

That is just my experience with the one I purchased.

This one though is a monster! I have watched this little joker leap out at my Tang! Like he was really going to make a meal out of something that size, you know? That Shrimp Stir-Fry is sounded better all the time, Ha Ha Ha. I guess I will let him stay in the refugium though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.