id shroom - The Reef Tank

Go Back   The Reef Tank > The Reference Place > Coral/Invert Archive > Soft Corals and Gorgonians
Register

Old 05-08-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
lazy reefer

id shroom

well i have had this shroom now for a ling time and i thought it was a ricordia but some one said they do not get that large 6" in diameter it is the one on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poss.jpg (89.1 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by 512148048; 05-10-2004 at 08:27 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
tdwyatt

better pix are DEFINITELY needed, even then, pic id is dicey at best. If the size is an issue, ID based on size of these is not an issue, in lagoonal conditions these corallimorphs can become quite large.

They appear as corallimorphs , but once again, better pix with a macro-lens is needed.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
lazy reefer

thanks tom i did look up alot of corallimorphs and nothing seemed to be even close in coloration. so any other ideas maby one of the giant shrooms not shure on family genus or anyt of that stuff. so any more guesses will help me because i have no place to start

Old 05-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
binylee
Little Fishy

It looks like a hair shroom to me.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
lazy reefer

i know the one on the right is a hairy shroom but the one on the left is much different it dosent have a green matt just green tips
Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
tdwyatt

Quote:
Originally posted by 512148048
...i did look up alot of corallimorphs and nothing seemed to be even close in coloration. so any other ideas maby one of the giant shrooms not shure on family...
well...

Don't use the coloration as the primary means of making the ID of the corallimorphs. ID by genus and specie will be based on morphological characteristics rather than color. To make matters worse, there is a lot of info coming out of DNA mapping for these creatures that suggests that they are not nearly as different as we originally thought they are, such that there may only be a few genera (two, maybe three), and that there is much variation even within closely related species (to the point that possibly there are not as many species as were previously thought, maybe just a lot of color variants of species).

Taxonomy (naming) of these coral creatures has been in flux now for about 4 years or more, such that there isn't nearly the clear cut key for many species of corallimorphs, zoanthids, many of the octocorals in general, and varying levels of change with many other families of corals. Prolly best to either find someone willing to look at the structures with a scope and try to delineate the fine structure necessary to ID them, or accept close id with the gross morphology as a "most likely" ID. Really accurate ID at this point and level of taxonomy usually means either a sample for DNA analysis, or possibly sacrificing a specimen to determine internal morphology as well as the external features.

Then again, for the $120 sample, you might as well send it to the Walnut Grove Seaquarium, where the curator there can give you a better idea of what you have.

If your concerned about the care and location of a specimen in the aquarium, just plan on a night nutrient tank with slow to medium-slow laminar current and strong, indirect lighting. This is true for almost all corallimorphs, as for the most part these are the conditions they are acquired from. There are a (very) few specimens that prefer strong direct lighting, but almost all of them will do with the strong to moderate indirect lighting afforded by either PC or VHO lighting, and they almost all do better without MH lighting. Nitrates in the 10 to 20 PPM range seem to stimulate growth as does some level of dissolved organic materials in the water column, or, a dirty" tank just bordering on a cyano bloom. Their original biotope for thriving is in opposition to the biotope of Acroporiids and related reef top stony corals.

HTH, don't sweat the details on the ID, just tell folks you have a "(genus) striped hairy mushroom..." ...and post some good, high resolution pix with some scale and good lighting.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:53 PM   #7
lazy reefer

lol good res well um i dont have nemore money i spent it all on my tanks so i got the crumy cammera so ill post alot of bad pix to make up for it thanks for the info sooooooooo...
the light it likes digrect pc lighting any whare else it never blooms fully and the cayno its a small break out in there so may be that is why its so big!

Tags
cyano bloom , grove seaquarium , hairy mushroom , stony coral , stony corals , vho lighting , walnut grove , walnut grove seaquarium